Connection of trussing to chain hoists.

addoaddo

How should a chain host be connected to Astralite trussing to chain hoists.

I have just returned from a large trade show where our stand-builder was suspending a rectangular Astralite rig from 6 chains hoists put in buy the local riggers. They secured these to the trussing by passing the chain around the truss and clipping the hook back on to the chain.

Before the show opened the local riggers from the venue came round and said this was unsafe and that they must use strops to attach the chain to the trussing. This caused a lot of inconvenience as the trussing was hung above the built stand at this stage.

My questions is was our stand builder using good rigging principles or was the one site riggers just being awkward?

They secured these to the trussing by passing the chain around the truss and clipping the hook back on to the chain.

-_- Well I certainly wouldn't be happy with that. Motor chain isn't designed to be used like that and the truss won't appreciate having bare chain wrapped around it either.

No, the local rigger was not being "awkward" he was very very right. Of course your set builder had done a RA and Method Statement for the hanging of these trusses....

To be frank, for someone who describes himself as a "Freelance working on Power lighting and sound installations for mobile events.", I am further saddened that my industry is continually plagued with fools, with ridiculously bombastic titles, who cant even pick up a truss safely. Thanks a lot to the fellow you worked with for further adding to the problems of the rest of the 'Professional' industry who constantly battle the 'H&S lords', to make up for the mistakes of the small time, untrained, dangerous masses.

stay safe

There are all sorts of reasons why the local riggers were very wrong. The chain in a chainhoist simply isn't designed to take load in that way. The collar of the hook was probably jammed against the truss, again loading it incorrectly. There is a good chance the truss would be damaged. What 'route' did the chain take? was it similar to the picture above or just a turn around one or two chords?

Archived