Remote window opening

AndyLoudon

I did a quite search, but couldn't find anything close enough to what I'm looking for.

For this years panto, I need the shutters on a window to burst open on cue. I'm not really sure how to do this though.

I'm leaning towards a solution that involves solenoids in some way. My initial idea was to use one (or more) to actually push the shutters, but after building a quick mock up of the window, its become obvious that the force from a solenoid will be insuffficient.

I'm not so concearned about the electronic/control side, as I plan to have it operated from the wings, so I don't require any fancy DMX switches or the like. My biggest problem at the moment is the mechanical part of it.

Anyone done anything like this before? How did you go about it? I'm hopefully missing a very obvious and simple to implement solution!

PS: heres a quick sketchup drawing of the window to give an idea of what I'm talking about (not at any kind of scale)

http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g133/AndyPandy_album/shop2.jpg

Could you clarify which side the audience is on?

Shutters opening to upstage is easier as bungee cords/springs can be hidden on the upstage side of the set to pull the shutters back.

Shutters opening to downstage is harder, as theres less places to hide things as the audience end up seeing both sides of the shutter flaps.

Done some research, and it seems that electromagnets can be quite expensive. Yes, I could make my own, but I was wondering if using a solenoid to break the contact between two permanent magnets would work. I guess that after that, I could use weights or springs to do the actual opening.

Attach an extension arm to each shutter at the top and tie a length of rope between them, then fix a second rope to centre of the first. Fix two pulleys to guide the first rope into a centre loop and a couple more in the grid and you can open the shutters with a quick tug. Use nylon pulleys so that they don't squeak.

• 2 weeks later...
Use a solenoid to pull out a pin located at top centre of the windows. If the windows are mounted with one of those spring hinges, then they will spring open. If the solenoid cannot pull the pin out because of the spring pressure, use a fulcrum to increase the solenoids leverage or in this case pulling strength. Use two overlapping brackets at the top inside edge of the windows. You may find it easier to only have the spring hinges on the top half of the window and use normal hinges on the bottom, so you can get away with only one solenoid at the top, instead of one top and one bottom.

Don't know if this is a touch late to be of any use, but a craft trick I know is to make the flat that the window is mounted into lean slightly downstage.

The angle of the flat will mean that gravity will throw the shutters open, however it will only open them out to 90% of the window. If you want them to open completely out then a sprung hinge is the thing to use.

http://www.flints.co.uk/acatalog/Spring_Hinges.html

However their pretty strong, although if you want the shutters to crack open then you'll get a great effect. A little split pin on a string to keep them shut and a willing SM to pull the cord at the right time...

Use a solenoid to pull out a pin located at top centre of the windows. If the windows are mounted with one of those spring hinges, then they will spring open. If the solenoid cannot pull the pin out because of the spring pressure, use a fulcrum to increase the solenoids leverage or in this case pulling strength. Use two overlapping brackets at the top inside edge of the windows. You may find it easier to only have the spring hinges on the top half of the window and use normal hinges on the bottom, so you can get away with only one solenoid at the top, instead of one top and one bottom.

Not too late at all! Got another ages to get this up and running.

Thanks for all the suggestions from everyone. If I manage to get something working to a good enough standard, I'll post it back here for future reference.

Archived