Truss Question

GEN

Hi there people I am looking into buying some truss. I think I am going to be buying 4 lengths 2 meters long. Now this will be used for many different events both indoor and out door. Does anyone know what clamps I will need in order to do the following with it.

1. Rig onto existing scaffold tubing, lighting bars or alley poles (48.3mm)

2. Make a Bridge type tower over top of DJ stand or similar event.

3. Vertical rigging at the side of our stage for dance shows.

My guess originally was to buy the coupler clamps for rigging onto existing poles / bars. Is this correct. I have no idea about rigging it vertically though help me please?

Of course, you know you'll need truss joiners too, and outriggers in your budget, before you even think of clamps...

1) Aluminium poles used for rigging are often 50mm, not 48.3mm. Steel scaffolding is usually 48mm. There may be something more suitable than clamps, depending on the specific application, but for starters, truss can be quite heavy before you begin to load it with stuff. A typical span of aliscaff tubing is not rated for a lot, so post some load ratings for what you might intend to hand your truss from first.

2) Well, this would need the proper corner pieces, joiners because most DJs I can think of need more than 2m, so you'd be making a 3m high 4m wide bridge, yes? What are you going to do to stop it from falling over? You're not going to cable tie it to a false ceiling, are you? Outriggers would be good here, but equally, you don't want to go creating a trip hazzard either in front of or for the DJ with them.

3) Similar to 2, but maybe you're thinking of having them free standing at the sides, for side lighting? What stops them falling over? Baseplates and lots of weights?

HTH

Kev

Pretty much as Kev says above but with a few additions....

1) For attaching truss to scaf I've always used 'truss clamps' as we call them (not sure if they are actually called that though) - they are aluminium clamps manufactured by doughty and come in a range of sizes. these take 48mm - 51mm tube, so ideal for clamping truss to scaf. The key difference is they work with friction grip, rather than 'biting' as scaf clamps do.

2)One option would be to use two stands (such as wind up manfrottos) with truss adapters (again from doughty). This eliminates the need for truss corner pieces or having to use truss as legs with out riggers etc. If however you want to rig on vertical truss at the sides, this doesn't help....

3) Just as kev says! You can get base plates for truss that you can then put a few stage weights on.

HTH

I think the first question you need to ask yourself, and please give yourself an honest answer, is this...

"Am I competent enough in the aspects of safe rigging of truss to justify my buying this at this stage?"

However, as a student, I sincerely doubt that you have the experience to make that judgment, and in which case I would recommend that you leave it for now. You'll find that many hire companies won't actually hire or sell you trussing unless you can show them you ARE competent - I'm looking at costing a small job in our venue at the moment as it happens, and have seen a statement to that effect on at least a couple of sites.

Not wishing to start yet another 'attack on the teens' topic, but proper use of truss is not something I'd recommend to the beginners - the potential to get it wrong BIG time is quite high.

Thank you both to j_b and hadyn.williams for your help I have been looking into this for ages the last set that I rigged we used to lots of 2m truss and used the clamps as mentioned but both your replies have been a great help. As I now continue to look into what to purchase.

To Ynot I am not a student, well I was many years ago. With regards to being competent enough id say yes as even though I am looking into the couplers etc it never rig it unless I was 100% happy. Thank you very much for your concern though!

thanks guys

To Ynot I am not a student, well I was many years ago. With regards to being competent enough id say yes as even though I am looking into the couplers etc it never rig it unless I was 100% happy. Thank you very much for your concern though!

Well, as all we get from your profile is

I work as a Sound and Light Technician in a School
and the majority of those types of statement come from kids with a self-elected title, you can perhaps understand the error... :unsure:

However, it's still highly unlikely that couplers will necessarily solve any or all of your queries - depends on what you're clamping to, where from and how sturdy that is.

You seem to have enough info for now, though.

P.S Can you recommend any UK based companies that are good for Truss?

Various truss manufacturers, AC Entertainment Technology, Stage Electrics etc....

However, a post in the adjacent thread got me thinking about your comments. 2m sections of truss can be very useful as a kit of parts - as you mention. There is though, a requirement to know what the acceptable means of fixing such truss actually is, especially as the weight suspended and the truss lengths used increase. What might be fine for a 2m section might be really problematic for an 8m span.

No doubt the set builder spoken of in that thread thought that wrapping chain around a truss was really OK. No doubt he 'felt competent', and 'would never do anything unless he was 100% happy'. However, such a practice has been roundly condemned.

My point is that when using truss, you need to know exactly what the acceptable ways of connecting trusses, suspending them and using them vertically actually are - based on best practice - not what an individual thinks is right. You may be well aware of best practice - in which case all's well, but the nature of your question does imply that some training and learning from an experienced practitioner is appropriate?

Simon

Thank you for your help

P.S Can you recommend any UK based companies that are good for Truss?

contact your local hire company see what they have so you can get the same that way if you ever need more for a special event you know there's will be compatible

Archived