What does an "Operations Manager" do?

I've had a quick search in the BR archives, but can't find anything suitably explanatory. Basically, what does an operations manager do in a venue where there is also an arts centre manager and a senior technician? And, cruicially, to which of the aforementioned people ought one to write to enquire about casual stage-crew-or-followspot-type work?

In middle to large size venues, an operations manager is concerned with the general day to day activities, which means that in some places the job could be more of a 'head caretaker' type post, or could be a managerial function perhaps covering foh, bars, catering, hospitality, cleaning, power/aircon & heating. Sometimes it can be directly linked to the production side of the theatre, other times not. If the venue in question has a senior technician, a centre manager and an ops manager - then I suspect I'd apply to the Ops Manager as their isn't a Technical Manager.

It's just one of those job titles that don't really mean very much.

According to my ex boss, the operations manager (me) did all the s*** that nobody else wanted to do, and got a bollocking for everything that everybody else hadn't done. Hence them being my ex boss...

The way I saw it, was the ops manager should be in charge of the practical side of things. Making sure the right things were in the right place at at right time, the techs and the general manager had everything they needed and knew what was going on. Organising maintenance etc. I also dealt with inspections and licensing.

The general managers dealt with cutomers, phone calls, foh staff, etc.

JSB - just make it up as you go along? :blink:

Given the set-up of the theatre and site generally (which I know very well), I suspect the Operations Manager is much more of a hands-off production/manager-type role there, dealing with the bar and things. I think I'll email the senior technician, and he can always forward it to someone else. Thanks very much, everyone!

Edit: accidental double post.

Call them and ask - then you can address the email to the right person personally.

I get loads of emails and letters asking for work and I'm always slightly more disposed to those that make a bit of an effort to check they are writing to the correct person or to find out my name rather than just to "whom it may concern".

T

While this forum is obviously a web orientated place NEVER assume that all people are totally e orientated. MANY people like and respond better to the niceties and pleasantries of real conversation. Formally correct broadcast grade spoken and written contact, especially the initial contact will get you better regarded than a good CV.

When you apply for work, your technical skills are important BUT so are your personal skills. You spend 10 hours a day with your colleagues and newcomers have to fit into the existing team.

Jivemaster hit it spot on! People skills are pretty short on the list sometimes. Excellent technical skills but don't let them talk to anyone important.

I've just remembered a venue who have an operations manager who works 9-5 and runs the building from a PC. He spends much time fine-tuning heating, ventilation, water heating, security access and denial, plumbing, mechanical and electrical maintenance and heath and safety compliance (oddly, not the H&S of the theatre areas, just the supporting ones). This is pretty well a full time job, but he has no regular contact with the production services at all, apart from where there is crossover and then he works with the technical manager, who is another 9-5 person who is office based, not production based.

Archived