Mirror Balls

CharlieH

This may be a stupid question, if so then I apologise! :blink:

For the school play, we are getting in a mirror ball. I would like to have the motor for it DMX controlled, so I can control it from the back along with the other equipment I have. Can you get these, and where from?

Thanks,

Charlie

It may be worth noting that the mirror ball rotator may need a dummy load on the same dimmer channel - Perhaps a spare flood for example... However if you can pair the motor with the light(s) illuminating the mirror ball, then you should be able to kill two birds with one stone!

HTH

Jim

Its perfectly viable to run a mirror ball motor on a dimmer channel - so long as you do have a load lamp on it as well.

Running the mirror ball and the light/s shining on it on one channel is not good becasue - unless its a really slow fade - which is then bad for the motor - you will see the ball "startup" etc.

Keep the motor and a load lamp on one channel, and the lightsource on another.!

A motor is a significantly inductive load and may kill dimmer channels. better dimmers will survive longer than low end ones.

I've experienced the reverse situation where the dimmer kills the motor (uneven positive/negative switching of the ac causing a DC offset).

If you can set a dimmer to "switching" mode that's a good option.

True, we do run a dummy load it it as well, it escaped my mind.

If you were wary of running it on a dimmer channel, and you only wanted it on or off, it might be more cost effective to use one of the single channel DMX relay switches from Milford Instruments and a standard mirror ball motor than having a motor controlled by DMX directly.

Archived