Profiles - Axial or Standard

lightsource

It's the first time I've ever seen first generation open face lanterns described as axial. Normally it's only used linked to profiles with reflector and lens. I can't see any reason for saying they are not axial - because the lamp comes in on the lantern centre axis - but I've never thought about old floods and battens being axial!

It's the first time I've ever seen first generation open face lanterns described as axial. Normally it's only used linked to profiles with reflector and lens. I can't see any reason for saying they are not axial - because the lamp comes in on the lantern centre axis - but I've never thought about old floods and battens being axial!

I thought that the general understanding of 'axial' is that the lamp filament is along the axis of the reflector, so, on that basis, would not include these old floods.

Optiques, I thought, were described to me AS the axial version of Cantata.

Optiques are the condenser optics version of the Cantata - still base-down, though.

Evening all, I didnt think cantata's were ever axial though im being thick I cant remember what the condensor version is or was am I being really thick?

As to be honest I cant ever remember condensor profiles???

Yours Thickly

Lx Techman

A concurrent post has been automatically merged from this point on.

From my experience with the old CCT30 axials, old axials did not work. Maybe they were waiting for the right lamp to come along as the fel lamp used in the CCT30 and an early Selecon profile, their light output was very poor.

I Had a few of the cct axials and they were never brilliant and continually failed the pat test and were hugh in comparison to the later SL' Source 4's etc and yes light out put was always a little hit and miss but ahead of thier time and showing the future just the lamps available at the time let them down.

TTFN

Lxtechman

The optics of most profiles consist of a quite straightforward arrangement of a large plano-convex - lamp - reflector (or two lenses in a zoom profile). The disadvantages are that gobos, being physically quite big, tend to suffer from an inability to be really sharply in focus. Maybe the centre is sharp, but the edges less so, and very commonly colour fringing is evident around the image being projected. Condensing lenses are common in microscopes, telescopes, some OHPs and things like the Optique - Strand's condenser version of the Cantata. Extra lenses are fitted into an assembly internally, making them a bit longer, and the beam where it passes through the gate is smaller. Smaller gobos and much better sharpness are the end result. I've some Cantatas and Optiques and the difference when using gobos is pretty obvious. You'd not want to put gobos in the Cantatas if you could use the Optiques.

Aaah Axial Cantatas ! The bane of Kirkcaldy R & D. Following a request from the US to have the features of the European Cantata (rotating gate, interchangeable lens tubes, etc), our Scottish colleagues struggled to get enough light out from a FEP / FEL lamp (G9.5 base) without spending a fortune on reflector redesigns. The end result was a unit that was a compromise between cost and efficiency, and as a result they didn't sell a huge number. They did learn quite a few lessons about axial optics, which then went into the Scottish designed Leko (c. 1992), and then subsequently the 'much loved' Brio .

Happy Days,

Richard

(Strand 1986 - 1995)

... the 'much loved' Brio .

Isn't that a technical variant of the 'Scottish Play'? A name that shall not be uttered in the theatre lest bad luck descends upon your production; a product that should be referred to as 'The Scottish Designed Lantern'?

'The Scottish Designed Lantern'?

A.k.a. "the bastard son of Prelude and Strand Leko"!

So ... an axial Cantata did actually exist, eh? Well, you live and learn, I guess. I've never come across one - and based on what Richard wrote above, I'd say that's probably a good thing!

Archived