Profiles - Axial or Standard

lightsource

Hi all,

Looking at buying some secondhand profiles, but noticed the Strand Cantata (26/44) and others come in a choice of either Axial and Standard.

Could anyone give any advice as to the advantages / disadvantages of axial over standard.

The BR wiki only helps so far.

This is for advice only, and is not specific to a job.

Input appreciated.

but noticed the Strand Cantata (26/44) and others come in a choice of either Axial and Standard

The Cantata was never offered in an axial version. The only profile I can think of which was available in a choice of axial or base-down was the CCT Silhouette.

'Standard' is not the right way to describe the opposite of axial, really - it's usually referred to as simply 'base-down'. In fact, in this age of GKV and HPL-lamped profiles, it could be argued that axial lamp mounting *is* in fact 'standard' if such a standard were to actually exist. The term comes from the fact that the filament of the lamp is aligned along the axis of the optical path - hence axial. Base-down, as in Cantatas, Preludes, ADBs, etc. simply denotes that the lamp base sits below the reflector rather than behind it, and the filament sits inside the reflector perpendicular to the optical axis of the unit.

The Cantata was never offered in an axial version. The only profile I can think of which was available in a choice of axial or base-down was the CCT Silhouette.

Whilst this was my thought too, usedlighting.co.uk seem to have some available. I thought it was a misprint, but if you compare the photos on the profiles page of this and the other cantatas below of the same beam angle, it certainly appears to have a longer lamp housing. Also a google for "Cantata axial" brings up a few hits including This datasheet.

searching for the word cantata in the document brings back only this

20x Strand Cantata Zoom Profile 18/32 1.2kw

2x Strand Cantata Zoom Profile 26/44 1.2kw

9x Strand SL Axial Zoom Profile 23/50 600w

Seems fairly clear?

Based on the period Cantatas were in production, the design would seem to preclude an axial version. Some pretty severe modifications of the lamp house would be needed. The only scenario could be if Strand maybe hand-built some axial versions to assess if they would work. As they introduced the SL instead, perhaps we should assume it didn't work? Over the years, lots of weird one-offs have been made by Strand. Maybe the OP has just bumped into another one. From the documents and info I have, they've never sold an axial Cantata, but that doesn't mean they didn't make one?

As they introduced the SL instead, perhaps we should assume it didn't work? Over the years, lots of weird one-offs have been made by Strand. Maybe the OP has just bumped into another one. From the documents and info I have, they've never sold an axial Cantata, but that doesn't mean they didn't make one?

And SL's did work?

Sorry cheap shot having just having spent time testing and maintaining our SL stock!

None of this matters of course, but the usedlighting link claims to have 15 examples...

AHA!

American market 120V axial versions - Datasheet here

1000W lamp, similar shape to the more common ones. So a 230V version quite possible as a retrofit? The picture on the used lighting site has different proportions, however - the lamphouse is much longer. The line drawings are the same, as far as I can see to the UK version with 1.2K lamp - so mystery not quite resolved.

AHA!

American market 120V axial versions - Datasheet here

You know, I have a distant memory suggesting that some Optiques I hired a ways back were axial mounted, but the data sheets show them as base-down. Optiques, I thought, were described to me AS the axial version of Cantata.

Rather surprised to see this one, however...

1000W lamp, similar shape to the more common ones. So a 230V version quite possible as a retrofit? The picture on the used lighting site has different proportions, however - the lamphouse is much longer. The line drawings are the same, as far as I can see to the UK version with 1.2K lamp - so mystery not quite resolved.
Check the bottom of pg 1 of that data sheet - "Can be used for 220v operation"....

:blink: As previously stated the selecon acclaims come as either axial or base down, we have the base down condenser version,but one of our local theatres has the axial versions.The axial versions do seem more efficient but do have a weakness in that,when adjusting the peaky/flat adjustment at the back, the lamp blows.This aside,the axials are good,but could work out expensive lamp wise.I wouldn't be without my base down versions.I think its a case of horses for courses really,hope this helps.Ialso have no experiance of a axial cantata. Regards Roy

Hi all,

Looking at buying some secondhand profiles, but noticed the Strand Cantata (26/44) and others come in a choice of either Axial and Standard.

Could anyone give any advice as to the advantages / disadvantages of axial over standard.

The BR wiki only helps so far.

This is for advice only, and is not specific to a job.

Input appreciated.

From my experience with the old CCT30 axials, old axials did not work. Maybe they were waiting for the right lamp to come along as the fel lamp used in the CCT30 and an early Selecon profile, their light output was very poor.

The Selecon Acclaim axial with its 600 watt lamp has over 4 times the light output of the CCT30, doing a side by side comparison and uses 400 watts less power. As with all fixtures, you need to make sure any lamp adjusting mechanisms are moving freely before powering up the fixture for any adjustments.

With the exception of the base down Selecon Pacific, any modern axial should outperform a base down fixture as there is not so large a chunk of reflector missing where the lamp enters the reflector.

Off topic, but for information, Strand had two very successful axial floods, the Patt 137 and Patt60http://www.strandarchive.co.uk/lanterns/p60.html

Archived