lithoplate?

titchyblone

Hi all

I'm trying to source a largeish quantity of lithoplate or an alternative material to make shadow-puppet scenery for an outdoors show. The material needs to be light, strong, solid, waterproof, and easily cut as we have to cut it with scissors/scalpels. We are also investigating sheets of balsa wood but would be really grateful for any other suggestions as to material and suppliers!

Thanks

Titch

Polyboard from a local graphics supplier (eg http://www.londongraphics.co.uk/acatalog/F..._Polyboard.html )

Polyboard is basically two layers with foam between them intended for exhibitions and display panels SOME of them will be fire retardent. Best cut with a sharp knife. some sorts are two metal foil sheets with a foam core

Foamcore is another foam and card type material ( http://www.diyframing.com/store_viewItem.cfm?ItemID=166 )

This stuff comes in sheets up to 3m x 2m it can be very strong.

A concurrent post has been automatically merged from this point on.

Other suppliers exist! look in your area. Anything big, and delivery may be worth while as this stuff in big sheets is hard to handle.

Generally printers (or at least the couple that I've encountered) will give you it for free (lithoplate). Normally they've got a good amount where they've finished the run or there was a mistake so they can't use it (in both cases I think they generally bin it). Any way give a few printers a ring from the yellow pages before you buy anything. We bagged a life time supply a few years ago (covered in pictures of cows!)

Gareth.

Hi all

I'm trying to source a largeish quantity of lithoplate or an alternative material to make shadow-puppet scenery for an outdoors show. The material needs to be light, strong, solid, waterproof, and easily cut as we have to cut it with scissors/scalpels. We are also investigating sheets of balsa wood but would be really grateful for any other suggestions as to material and suppliers!

Thanks

Titch

I'd suggest Sintra, though I can't remember where you get it from - it's a plasticky type sheet material, very handy, also sometimes called Foamex; comes in various thicknesses & you can cut with knife/scalpel, sand, drill, bend with heat etc etc. Will try & remember where to get it from. Cutting with scissors though - hmm, don't think it comes thin enough for that, not sure - so if you really need it that thin, I suppose you would need some sort of thin sheet metal/lithoplate, as you were originally planning.... Shim is another useful word. Be v interested to know what you find; do post results if you have time!

Archived