MAC 250+ Review ???

mauroantunes

Hello,

I currently own two Lightmaxx 575 spots moving-heads bought at Musicstore (same as Stairville 575 from Thomman). I need to upgrade from 2 to 4 spots. I have check a good deal regarding 4 MARTIN MAC250+ spots. My question is if I will lose a lot of light from going from 575 to 250W or is the MARTIN quality surpassing these white brands? I must add that it is mainly for outdoor use togheter with some led bars and 12 PAR64.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Mauro Antunes

I should Suspect that you will lose some Light yes but your adding 2 more macs in and anyway no-one in there right mind would use just 4 macs to run an entirestace unless it was dance type lighing.......

Macs are more for effect but if used correcly will give the wanted efect

I should Suspect that you will lose some Light yes but your adding 2 more macs in and anyway no-one in there right mind would use just 4 macs to run an entirestace unless it was dance type lighing.......

Macs are more for effect but if used correcly will give the wanted efect

Hi,

I forgot to tell that I am not a professional lighting technician. Please see at www.grupodualband.com/videos.html some videos of my band (amateurs) and please imagine 4 MAC250+ instead of the 2 Lightmaxx 575 on those sets.

Regards,

Mauro Antunes

In your case, I doubt you'd see much difference between the brightness of the beams, as the Mac 250 will have higher quality optics, etc, than the 575. This should negate the extra power the 575 has over the 250.

And in your situation, I doubt, even if there was much of a difference, it won't affect you too much, as you have a relatively small venue. Nice use of LEDBars, btw.

The Mac 250+ is a rather old unit now, it was discontinued some years ago and replaced with the mac 250 krypton and entour (the latter having a few extra features). Are these second hand mac 250s you're looking at? I'd be a bit wary of them as even if they've been well looked after they're going to be at least 5 years old by now.

Looking at what you do 4x Mac250+ could work quite well... maybe think about rigging them from the rear truss to get some height maybe?

Be weary about 5 year old fixtures, but I have some mac250 Kryptons that get used daily that are over 5 years old and still going strong, with the right maintinance they can last for a very long time... maybe get someone in the know to check them out before you purchase / swap them?

A 250 watt lamp is less than half the power of a 575watt lamp, you won't get the same light output from from them. Try changing a 100 watt bulb for a 40 watt one and see if there's a difference.

This is rarely the case in my experience. Sure there might be a difference but it's often difficult to notice. They certainly don't usually look twice as powerful! More often the advantage is in beam size.

I think the OP will not notice much loss in power but will benefit from twice the number of fixtures.

I have some AC Lighting tourspot 575s, but they are nowhere near as bright as Martin 250 Entours. The old 250 and 250+ used a very similar reflector , so by comparison with modern Martins will be dimmer. Mac 250s were never the brightest things in the universe.

Looking at what you do 4x Mac250+ could work quite well... maybe think about rigging them from the rear truss to get some height maybe?

Be weary about 5 year old fixtures, but I have some mac250 Kryptons that get used daily that are over 5 years old and still going strong, with the right maintinance they can last for a very long time... maybe get someone in the know to check them out before you purchase / swap them?

Hi.

These MACs I'm seeing are used, and yes the idea is to rigg them in the rear truss.

I have other option that is just to buy 2 more 575MH exactly the same I have. My main concern is about the quality and effects achievable by them. I have never user MARTIN but I guess their effects are better. Am I wong?

Regards,

Mauro Antunes

www.grupodualband.com

My tuppence, just from looking at that vid (I'm not familiar with the fixtures you mention), the 250s are not that bright. I suspect you may have trouble maintaining the 250s, as mentioned they're deffinatle getting on a bit now.

As to brightness comparisons, its very difficult to tell from the wattage alone, the efficency of a fixture has many factors. Its easier just to try to preveiw them if poss.

Archived