Sound level meters with LEQ function

Matt Riley

Matt,

To do LEq properly, the meter needs to sample the sound level about 16 times a second. This adds quite a bit of complexity and most meters that offer proper integration (rather than just logging) tend to start at about £800.

If you just need to know the sound pressure level, there's plenty of cheap devices around. Many are somewhat misleading in their specifications though - often refering to defunct standards. Get a proper class 2 from the likes of Castle, Cirrus etc. if you are serious about your meaurements.

You could also consider a Neutrik Acoustilyser.

An alternative is to use Smaart, but you need a) to be able to calibrate your measurement system and b) be able to keep the gain of the system unchanged once calibrated.

Simon

Thanks Simon! definitely food for thought. I was just going to use it for personal ballpark stuff, so nothing mission critical, It was just that when I've worked at festivals before I found the Leq gives a far better reference and was keen to see whether there was anything which could do that without the big price tag. I think smaart with a dedicated pre and pistonphone (sp?) sounds like the most useful option. Just on the off chance, does anyone know whether it's possible to get a student price on it at the moment?

M

A concurrent post has been automatically merged from this point on.

Thanks Simon! definitely food for thought. I was just going to use it for personal ballpark stuff, so nothing mission critical, It was just that when I've worked at festivals before I found the Leq gives a far better reference and was keen to see whether there was anything which could do that without the big price tag. I think smaart with a dedicated pre and pistonphone (sp?) sounds like the most useful option. Just on the off chance, does anyone know whether it's possible to get a student price on it at the moment?

M

Hi guys,

I was just considering getting hold of a sound level meter, and wondered whether anyone knew of any cheaper ones with an LEQ function, as I haven't found any just yet in my cpc/googling?

Cheers,

Matt

Hi Matt,

Believe it or not, the Faber Acoustical Soundmeter app for the iPhone works quite well, the built-in microphone clips at approx 105db though but is reasonably flat and accurate. Especially post calibration (if you have something to calibrate to). Feel free to drop me a line and you can have a play.

Thanks

I think smaart with a dedicated pre and pistonphone (sp?) sounds like the most useful option. Just on the off chance, does anyone know whether it's possible to get a student price on it at the moment?

Ask whether your Uni is part of the Smaart educational licence scheme.

Simon

A concurrent post has been automatically merged from this point on.

Believe it or not, the Faber Acoustical Soundmeter app for the iPhone works quite well, the built-in microphone clips at approx 105db though but is reasonably flat and accurate. Especially post calibration

possibility of greater than 6dB out, cannot be calibrated by pistonphone, no indication of linearity over its dynamic range, nor the frequency range it covers...

Great app to impress your friends, but not a replacement for a real SLM ;-)

Look at either a sub £50 meter as informed ammusement, OR spend the real money on a really good one with calibration traceability to national standards, and learn how to use it well. If you need a meter to contest environmental issues ONLY a fully calibrated fully approved model is worth having. Also it needs a protective case.

...ONLY a fully calibrated fully approved model is worth having. Also it needs a protective case.

...and a windshield, plus a 'field calibrator' (pistonphone) that is of the same class or higher with the correct adaptor for the microphone. Yearly calibration which is traceable to NPL through a UKAS certified lab is a must, but the meter itself must be checked against the pistonphone before and after a set of readings and the two readings must not differ. Knowledge of free field and pressure field microphone types is important, as is use of frequency and time weightings, integration and statistical indices.

It also helps to have undergone recognised training (such as the Institute of Acoustics' workplace or environmental noise measurement courses) and to be a member of the IOA or ANC (the Association of Noise Consultants, not the African National Congress!)

Archived