ISA Registration

lxtechman

Good evening all.

I Have Just recieved this week a leaflet from HMG about the new scheme from them when it comes to working with children/vulnerable people.

Its the Independant Safeguarding Authority VBS (Vetting & Barring scheme) Comes in to effect 12 October 2009 when the law changes.

It seems that all new employees, those moving jobs and volunteers who want to or are working with children etc can register with the ISA from nov 2010 and all new must register before they can start work. and until this is done can not start work it cost £64.00 to register though it last for a lifetime

So does anybody else know about this and does it mean we need to do this and also do/renew our CRB Checks and who is resposible for doing this and paying for it? if:

A. Employed by a school/Youth service or company that has children visiting (holiday camps etc)

B. You are self employed and work in such places

C. Are self employed and employ casuals to assist.

Any advice and help greatly recieved

Thanks

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply
A. Employed by a school/Youth service or company that has children visiting (holiday camps etc)

B. You are self employed and work in such places

C. Are self employed and employ casuals to assist.

Something very odd with this site. The requirement is supposed to start in October, yet at present the site is not accepting registrations?

As for the questions. If your employer is the one who legally needs it's staff to be vetted, then they pay. If you are a freelancer, and it's needed before work comes your way, you pay. If you are an employer, then again , it's you.

However, the details suggest many of us won't need to bother.

Any activity of a specified nature that involves contact with children or vulnerable

adults frequently, intensively and/or overnight. (Such activities include teaching, training, care, supervision, advice, treatment and transportation.)

• Any activity allowing contact with children or vulnerable adults that is in a specified place frequently or intensively. (Such places include schools and care homes.)

• Fostering and childcare.

• Any activity that involves people in certain defined positions of responsibility. (Such positions include school governor, director of social services and trustee of certain charities.)

‘Regulated activity’ is when the activity is frequent (once a month or more) or ‘intensive’ (takes place on three or more days in a 30-day period).

So our dance shows don't count. Nor does my work with schools and colleges where I visit. I do do more than 3 or 4 days in a month, but my contact with the kids isn't intensive. So I don't think having a 13 year old take me from reception to the performing arts area counts.

This, on the surface looks like a good move. People can register themselves anyway, if they are worried, and maybe the £64 is good value for 'permission to enter premises when occupied by kids.'

The whole thing has been delayed until next year and will involve registering existing staff/volunteers first, followed buy new staff/volunteers.

That's why the site won't accept registrations yet.

I see so no rush to sort it out then. om thinking perhaps I should do myself first then look at the casuals as with what I do it may be better to be safe than sorry though I dont think intensive interaction applies to a week of panto here a week of dance there still a little confusing.

Perhaps I should just fill in the form or wait a bit and see if the site starts to work

Thanks

Keep the info coming though

So we (or our employers) have to pay to prove our innocence and get a 'I'm not a paedo' badge, so we can have 'permission' to enter places where kids might be?

This country is worryingly paranoid, and as for the government...

All that said when it comes in I shall have to go through it, so perhaps I shouldn't complain so loudly.

The way I read it, you still have to have a CRB or ECRB check to get on ISA !!

Red tape, jobs for the boys and money for Gordon

A concurrent post has been automatically merged from this point on.

So we (or our employers) have to pay to prove our innocence and get a 'I'm not a paedo' badge,

It just proves you have not been caught! yet!! :D

Guest lightnix
<cynic> That ought to be a useful addition to the govenment coffers... </cynic>
Red tape, jobs for the boys and money for Gordon...

...It just proves you have not been caught! yet!! :D

You're all being way too cynical. It's all for the poor, defenceless children of the UK.

Now please...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v631/lightnix/children_think_01.jpg

Oh that's nothing http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/45289000/jpg/_45289886_boywithaxe226.jpg.

Back OT I have STILL not heard nothing from work. I would of thought we would know something being a college. Having said that I remember when CRB was brought in in 02 and we had several teachers who were new and had classes "watched" until they paper came through, but I assume that if we work already we wont be stopped from working as CRB will cover.

Guest lightnix

Quite why they think it's the adults that need watching beats me, when you consider this and (following on) this.

It would seem that some of the sickest and most dangerous perverts, currently at large in the community, are under 18 :D

The more worrying thing is that (E)CRB check is a check on convictions tried and tested in a court, so there should be a reasonably high confidence in the content though newspaper reports suggest that thousands of people are wrongly on that database, BUT ISA is a register of untested untried information and there is nothing to prevent someone putting false evidence there as an act of malice. In the hospital that pays for my days the new cleaning contractor has supplied a largely Lithuanian group of staff some of these will not be known to the system in this country because they were not here a year ago, so even theie CRB is based in three months life in the UK.

There are too many holes in the system and a big hole in my wallet for something inefficient.

• 2 months later...
Guest lightnix

And, in the latest twist to this sorry tale...

An estimated 11.3 million people... already face having their backgrounds checked to allow them to work with children.

But... the scope of the database could increase significantly because companies would fear losing business if they did not have their employees vetted...

...The electrical contractor who wants school business may decide that although he is not required to have all his electricians registered with the ISA, there is a tendering advantage to doing so...

Full story here...

Also from that article quoted by Lightnix employees with a recorded history -not necessarily a conviction! May find themselves dismissed to preserve a company's 100% reputation. Would that count as unfair dismissal. If a person was actually dismissed from employment for a (E)CRB ir ISA check failure would they EVER get work again? and who would be paying for their benefit and welfare?

An estimated 11.3 million people... already face having their backgrounds checked to allow them to work with children.

...The electrical contractor who wants school business may decide that although he is not required to have all his electricians registered with the ISA, there is a tendering advantage to doing so...

Full story here...

But that applies currently as well - under the current system an electrical contractor could have all his employees CRB checked, and despite it being unnecessary he could then use that fact to ply for school trade, and it would probably work. Little is changing with this ISA authority, and most of the hype (about driving your friend's kids to school and having to check the bin men) is all the same as the current CRB system - articles like that are just media scaremongering.

Archived