Out door speaker waterproof covers?

splodge360

As the last few outdoor line array pas we have been done in glorious english july rain, I was wondering if there was a company that made up water proof covers on 3 side and acoustic opening on the front side. 1m square at the top and 10ft tall sides.

I was thinking of something looking like the changing tent in the beach scene in chitty chitty bang bang film.

Any one had something custom made up, or know of something from nexo/ martin/ vdosc etc

Should this be in the staging/ wardrobe forum instead?

Ta Rog

I don't know if this helps, but about 20 years ago I had an outdoor tank cover manufactured in tarpaulin material by Scottish Sailmakers in Glasgow. I did a drawing of what I needed (tracing paper & Rotring pens!) and they made it in a couple of days. It's still there and almost as good as new despite the weather. There must be sailmaking companies around the Hampshire area who could do a similar job.

However, also 20 years ago most of the tour grade manufacturers made loudspeakers that were not effected by water. The same applies today. I'm not aware of a manufacturer making boxes suitable for outdoor work (ie, touring boxes) that are not designed to stand a few downpours in their time.

Rob

First post :unsure:

I had 6 x 150w cabs out in the hail at a church fete and it was during dartford's summer hail... It started to rain before it hailed so I generic bin bagged and gaffa'd them and that did more than enough to keep the hail out, I'll try and get some pictures of of the hail, was quite impressive and I had a steel band hired in (in the end they didn't need to play, they could've just left a drum outside because of the hail!) I'll give you an idea of how bad it was, One hailstone hit the grill on one of my speakers and dented it about a centimetre in!

Thanks for the usefull replys,

What sort of Gauze/ scrim is good enough not to obstruct sound, strong enough to keep the canvas side panels apart, and thick enough to not let rain drip in the front.

Should the back have velcro access slots for cable conection, or allowing vents for fan cooled QSC wide line active back panels?

I presume the big manufacturers dont have anything ready built up then, or does no one bother in the pro trade?.

Ta Rog

surely bin-bag & gaffa the connections, and the rest should be cosher? if somebody designed a line array with a hole in the top for rain to leak in then they've got bigger problems than a damp cone. if you're pointing a line array upwards for rain to fall in then you've got bigger problems than crowd coverage.

I had a full sef of waterproof covers made up for my speakers by ProTech covers (Bradford)

http://www.caravancovers.org.uk/

The guy there was great, put in access doors and velcro bits wherever I needed and the material is pretty hard wearing. Good service and very cheap.

Mine don't have a different material on the front - They are more for covering up kit when the rain comes and everyone rushes indoors!

Note to all sound companies..... Make a waterproof kit. Last year I was ask put to together a sound system that could be used outside, no Manufacturer say any of there kit could be used outside. I could not find speakers or racks that were waterproof. In the end they didn't buy anything.

As the last few outdoor line array pas we have been done in glorious english july rain, I was wondering if there was a company that made up water proof covers on 3 side and acoustic opening on the front side. 1m square at the top and 10ft tall sides.

I was thinking of something looking like the changing tent in the beach scene in chitty chitty bang bang film.

Any one had something custom made up, or know of something from nexo/ martin/ vdosc etc

Should this be in the staging/ wardrobe forum instead?

Ta Rog

Give these guys a ring, I dealt with them a few years ago.

One link is the contact page the other some short insight to what they do.

http://www.coverovercovers.co.uk/page3.htm

http://www.coverovercovers.co.uk/main.htm

Just spent the summer outside in the glorious bristish sunshine, so much rain my northface waterproofs gave up the ghost, yet racks were all visquined, so remained dry, and speakers stayed up and in the rain, not a problem, if your sticking a line array up, it'll be okay in the rain, three different manufactures gear in the air over a couse of jobs, and all drenched, only affect the weather had was some of the motor mains connectors got a bit warm as they were full of water...

Though, suppose if you're sticking a powered speaker system up outdoors you would need to rainproof it, or wonder if youre using the right tool for the job.

Archived