Quickie about hanging moving heads

Jamtastic3

HI BR,

Just a quickie here. Was wondering how to tell what way a moving head should be rigged if you want the 'front' to be... well at the front. I've always thought that cabling and power were to be at the back. Am I on the right lines?

Cheers!

Pig tails to SR, ie mains inlet and DMX sockets facing stage right. This makes the Martin arrow point downstage for 500/600's; Vari*Lites follow the same logic. Many other manufacturers are now putting the mains inlet and DMX sockets on the upstage face - ie Clay Paky, newer Martin stuff etc.

I always work on the principle of front being the mid point of rotation between the two pan bump stops.

But then front becomes subjective as to where the fixture is mounted in relation to the stage. And where you need the maximum movement without risk of hitting a stop!

I always just make sure the displays are facing upstage that way it means no gaffer'd displays!

Well if it's a VL2000 or 3000, then you are spun 90 degrees, and your LD is going to have fun.

-w

IMHO it doesn't really matter, as long as everything is hung the same way / in a logical manner. Finding everything's just been chucked in the rig at random is far more annoying than finding everything is 90deg out from where you expected when you come to program a show.

Most fixtures I've seen can rotate at least 360, and most consoles I've used have a pretty easy way to adjust for a light hung wrong (reversing tilt/pan etc).

That being said, I was working as local crew for a concert and it was the first show for the tour crew (new people for the NA leg) and somehow no one noticed 2 trusses were hung with all the movers backwards. I laughed pretty hard when there was no light on the band and it was all over the back drop :unsure: You'd think they'd check before the show..

What I don't get was why I saw the LD, in nearly every cue, manually flipping the position on the lights individually. Wasn't really my place to comment but there must have been an easier way then that.. especially with 10,000 people in the house....

What I don't get was why I saw the LD, in nearly every cue, manually flipping the position on the lights individually. Wasn't really my place to comment but there must have been an easier way then that.. especially with 10,000 people in the house....

There is, most desks have a function which can be activated during patch or some during live which can flip the Pan and or Tilt on fixtured permanatly on the show, which would excuse this being done.

Guest lightnix
Surely a compitant LD can put up with a mover 90D's out!
Surely a competent LD will know which way round he wants his movers and surely a competent tech will be able to rig them 0° out :)

If they're using VL's it proves they know what they want out of the show anyway!
Why?
Because some people don't know any better :unsure:

I always work on the principle of front being the mid point of rotation between the two pan bump stops.
That's generally the method I've gone for, if there's ever been any doubt - something which allows maximum movement over the stage from the rigging position; but as mentioned, it's really the LD's call and something s/he should have included on the plan.

Archived