EAW SB600 subs NL4 wiring?

ferrisio

Hello, I have a pair of EAW SB600 subs, and they have an NL4 with 8 ohm driver one on 1+/1- and 8 ohm driver two on 2+/2-. I want to drive each cab with the drivers running in parallel from one channel of an amp, i.e. 4 ohms a side. So channel 1 = cab 1, channel 2 = cab 2.

Would you make up special 2-way leads with a 2-pin on one end, a 4-pin on the other with 1+ and 2+, then 1- and 2- connected together?

or would you parallel the drivers inside the cabs?

or would you make a little 2-to-4 dongle to plug standard 2-wire leads into?

Just trying to see if I've missed anything out, I want to keep everything as standard as possible and can't be the first person who has had this situation! Thanks!

I'd parallel the drivers inside the cab off 1+/- and leave the other pins out of it, maybe paralleled through so that you could run tops off it in the future.

Think you may be right, was just wary about modifying the cabinets. Unfortunately they only have one speakon and the banana plugs - (why did/do EAW use them?), so I can't use a 4-way cable to pass another feed through.

If they're your boxes, and you use them as your own boxes, and they don't go out on sub hire to add to someone elses stock of 600's then I'd parallel them in the box so you don't have to worry about special leads which can get mixed up. If they might get used by other EAW houses in your area then you need to leave them as the factory setup. Either option will work, it's just trying to work out which is most fleible for your applications and what the subs get used for.

There are many reasons why the drivers are run this way. From delay settings for sub arrays to the simple amplifier load issue. The latter is the most common reason for this, if you have an 8ohm driver on a "load" you can put 2 boxes together and have a 4 ohm load, or 3 boxes together for a 2.6666 ohm load. This is ok on decent amps. where as 2ohms is sometimes frowned upon. That allows you to run 3 subs from 1 amp whereas if the drivers were in parallel within the box, you could only run 1 box per channel, thus 2 boxes per amp as the 3rd box wouldn't fit anywhere.

Rob

Aha a bit of a Eureka moment there, the 2.66666 option hadn't clicked - it makes sense for maximising (and protecting) ones amp rack. I think I may make up adapters just in case they get loaned out to other outfits. It just worries me that some clown is going to try and blast 2K through one of my drivers if I don't mod them in the box.

All that remains then is to ask why the banana plug sockets? For some kind of feedback for a processor? The Americans do it that way? I have the EAW MX processer but it doesn't require connections to the drivers. Just curious!

Thanks for all replies!

Hang on a minute, banana plugs? Are there 4 of them? Could you not just put in a couple of little jumpers to parallel up the drivers? Then take them out if somebody esle hires your cabs, or you want to run it another way.

All that remains then is to ask why the banana plug sockets? For some kind of feedback for a processor? The Americans do it that way? I have the EAW MX processer but it doesn't require connections to the drivers. Just curious!

I'm fairly sure they are designed as test points.

Hang on a minute, banana plugs? Are there 4 of them? Could you not just put in a couple of little jumpers to parallel up the drivers? Then take them out if somebody esle hires your cabs, or you want to run it another way.

Yes good point, I had wondered about that but on looking inside the cab they are wired up with fairly spindly wire, so wasn't sure it was a goer. Which would go along with the suggestion that they were test points. Surely if they were for install there would be barrier strip, banana plugs scare the life out of me as they would be so easily shorted by mistake, and these are 2K cabs...

Panel on the rack with NL4s that connect to the amps via Bananas, so you can configure however you wish.

One woofer per pin pair, so you can make use of all four conductors in the cable for lower resistance, and have more flexibility as to how many drivers to load onto an amp channel.

http://www.padrick.net/LiveSound/RackStuff/RackStuff.htm

Archived