LED Fresnel from CPC...

Ynot

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Noted... looks like this one may do the rounds - appears Ynot has a hunger for all things LED :rolleyes:

Not so much a hunger as an enquiring mind. :D

I do believe that eventually we'll get to the stage where SOME of the conventional kit might be replaceable by LED options - maybe even at a reasonable cost. Just not yet - hence my curiosity when the claims of this particular lantern were seen.

My natural scepticism tells me that there's no way it'll stack up to a 500W halogen, especially as I've seen many wayward claims shot down in the past - but always willing to be proven wrong... Maybe...

:angry:

My plans are to test it against a 500W fresnel, probably a Minuette, as it's something we can all relate to. I'm going to do measurements to confirm the spot to flood range and to check field flatness and also see how well in performs with various gels in front which will account for the different spectral output of the LED in a real and practical way.

Excellent, and can we see photos?

Yep, I plan on taking photos of the unit's output in a side-by-side situation, ie both of them visible in the same photo, to allow meaningful comparisons.

• 2 weeks later...
I suspect that as this will be an unpaid labour of love by Brian, he will fit it in around his paid employment. Whilst I too will be interested to see the results, I don't expect it to take precedence over paying the mortgage...

Status Update...

The unit arrived late yesterday afternoon and is now sitting on the bench with light coming out of the front. I've put some time aside on Monday to do the real measurements and photos but in the meantime some first impressions/observations...

1) It's bigger than I thought it would be. Mentally, I had it as something Minuette/Prelude sized. Something with a 100mm lens. It actually has a 150mm lens as is therefore closer in size to a 1k unit.

2) Construction is extruded corner sections with steel panels. A bit like many other fresnels. The yoke is folded steel and is a decent thickness with a single locking knob. Access to the inside is via a single, non-captive, thumbwheel which releases the sliding top panel.

3) The back panel contains a fused IEC inlet, a 4 digit display with 4 menu buttons and, a nice touch, both 3 and 5 pin XLRs for in and loop. There is a handle and a spot/flood focus wheel to complete the back panel.

4) Focus is with a leadscrew in the base of the unit, again like many other fresnels.

5) The lightsource is mounted on a sliding carriage and consists of a PCB containing 9 LEDs, arranged in a square, with heat control by a heatsink and cooling fan. This is the only fan in the unit and overall the noise level is similar to a desktop PC.

6) The other main items inside the case are a universal input, 100-250v, switch mode supply marked as delivering 24 volts at 2.5A and mounted on one side panel, and a control/display PCB at the rear.

7) Light output is as you'd expect very 'crisp', being 6000K.

...more to follow.

Sounds interesting, full review awaited with great interest.

Bit suprised that it is fan cooled though, potential weak point I fear. If I was desigining such a lantern, I would have considered mounting the LEDs on the rear case of the unit, this being of substantial aluminium to serve as a heat sink. Foccusing being by moving the lens, not the light source.

I wonder if it has auto-shutdown in case of fan failure, or does it just cook to death.

If time and equipment permits, a side by side test with a halogen lantern, at different voltages would be interesting.

As is well known, the nominal or declared voltage in the UK is 230 volts. The actual voltage supplied varies from about 220 up to about 250 volts.

The output of a halogen lamp varies substantialy with relativly small changes in voltage.

Comparing the LED to a halogen at 220 volts, and to the same halogen run at 250 volts, would give very different results.

The LED might well be brighter than the halogen at 220 volts, but dimmer than the same lantern at 250 volts.

(the output of the LED should not alter at different supply voltages since it is stated to contain a multi voltage power supply)

It's one of those little stupidities with LED lights that they tell you it will last 50,00 hours or some such figure but never mention the life of the fan which it needs to keep it alive.

... mounting the LEDs on the rear case of the unit, this being of substantial aluminium to serve as a heat sink. Foccusing being by moving the lens, not the light source.

Nice piece of lateral thinking. The problem I can see is that your flood beam angle would be limited by the lens being fully back inside the case.

I also love the idea of LED, the our industry can to to help our world the better I say. Every improvement takes time.

Chris - are you/CPC ging to be at PLASA 09? I would be fascinated to see it.

TT

Archived