plane sound effects

timtheenchanteruk

Im looking for a couple of plane sound effects, both prop type planes, around 1940s if poss,

first one a plane engine stuttering (if that makes sense) second, plane going into a dive (it then crashes into the sea, but I have plenty of watery explosions that will do that bit.

I have trawled everywhere I can think of, and that google can come up with, but not found anthing decent yet.

thanks in advance.

Oh, another one Im having difficulty with, a police bell as in the bell on early police cars.

+1 for the Sound Effects Library as linked above. A few years back I designed a show (a musical about the myths and facts of Flight 19) that needed huge number of airplane effects. I probably found 90% of what I needed there. The rest was done with a portable recorder and a trips to Duxford and The Shuttleworth Collection on a flight day.

Bob

There are huge numbers of sound effects available, and I've got a pretty big library of useful ones, but the one thing that happens is that you never have the right one - although there are plenty of ways to get them. The real secret is being able to take small bits and build up exactly what you want by editing and a bit of craftiness. Everything you need is available, but not instantly. I quite like the Bits and Pieces library for old British stuff. Experts will always tell you when you get it wrong. Like South Pacific for the local dramatic society. I was really pleased with my planes flying overhead, but got my Rolls Royces, Pratt & Whitneys and Mitsubishi engines mixed up!

I was really pleased with my planes flying overhead, but got my Rolls Royces, Pratt & Whitneys and Mitsubishi engines mixed up!

This is where you need to know how much the audience knows about the subject, as to Pauls ears (and probably 99% of the population) the sound effects were fantastic, it just takes one 'know it all' to be incredably pinicity about sound effects to point out your short falls.

I had a similar thing happen when I used the "wrong gun shot" for Assassins the musical, the show ran for the whole of the Edinburgh Fringe last year with 100 people a night 7 nights a week, and only 2 people spotted (and reported that) the finale gun shot sound wasn't that of the actual gun in question.

So how precise you are entirely depends on your audience, and on how difficult it is to achieve 'perfection'.

HTH

On an OT but related comment, I once accidently triggered the sound of a rooster instead of a gunshot during a rehearsal for a musical. I'd cued up the gunshot sound on an Instant Replay machine, but little did I know some little twaz had been playing around, and mixed up all the sound effect presets.

Now that's something your audience would notice - and was also a lesson to me!

I seem to remember that there is a police bell on my ancient copy of the BBC sound effects record volume 2. There is also a plane dive on there too if I remember right.

Cheers

James.

Hmm, going up to my loft tonight me thinks

A concurrent post has been automatically merged from this point on.

ts just the police bell now

intro to

any good?

that might also be usable, a few editing hours to come tonight!!!

Archived