Royalty Free Music

Hi

I am creating a video for a client and I need some music in the backgroud just easy listening (something like Lighthouse Family). It needs to be royalty free becasue the client is going to distribute it. I am not getting paid very much for it so the music needs to be fairly cheap or even free. If anyone has any ideas please let me know.

I know this isn't very technical but I thought you guys (and gals) might have had some experiance in this area.

Thanks in Advance

Rowan

You need to check the wording very carefully, some music is payment free for using it, but others require payment to the copyright agencies when you use it in public. Both can be called Royalty Free. Quite a tricky area. Some Royalty Free companies are members of PRS!

If you have access to a Mac you could knock up a backing track in minutes using the pre-recorded loops in Garage Band (there may be PC apps to do this too). You could then tailor the track to your precise needs.

Here's the small print from Garage Band, you are allowed to use your own compositions commercially.

"You may use the Apple and third party audio loop content (Audio Content), contained in or otherwise included with the Apple Software, on a royalty-free basis, to create your own original music compositions or audio projects. You may broadcast and/or distribute your own music compositions or audio projects that were created using the Audio Content, however, individual audio loops may not be commercially or otherwise distributed on a standalone basis, nor may they be repackaged in whole or in part as audio samples, sound effects or music beds."

Archived