wardrobe recommendations

PeteSav

Maybe someone can help?

I'm putting together a wish list and my thoughts have led me to wardrobe. I would be very interested in peoples recommendations for a decent sewing machine and iron.

The main considerations for each are; the sewing machine would need to be beefy enough to cope with occasional canvas and and heavy drapes making and repair but also sensitive enough for the fiddly costume stuff. Am I asking too much of one machine? Do I need more than a semi-industrial machine? Where is the best place to buy them?

The only requirement the iron needs (apart from it's ability to iron well) is that can not be stuffed into a bag and stolen. Unfortunately it's one of those items which constantly vanish. Is there an ironing board mounted to an ironing board/steam table that might suit our needs?

Your recommendations would be greatly received.

As for the sewing machine - yes I think you're asking a lot of a single machine. I'd go for getting a secondhand ex-factory industrial machine for canvas/cloth stuff and a new, nice (read: not cheap) one for the costume stuff. Elna make some good models, but talk to your friendly wardrobe mistress for her advice. Also, you'd be loved forever if you also bought an overlocker for the wardrobe.

As for the iron, I'd go for one that has a separate steam generator unit and iron, and screw the steam generator down. Polti (or any of the major domestic manufacturers) do suitable models.

the secret to keeping your iron is to make sure it looks so tatty that no one in there right mind would nick it,when infact its a fairly heavy duty industrial jobbythats lasted 6+years,the thing most nicked here the ironing board covers <_<

Or wire it permanently into a fused connection unit, rather than having a 13A plug. Our theatre kettle is a cordless one with the base unit wired in like this, and it never gets nicked.

Or as sugested in the other thread put a 16A plug on it :)

Or as sugested in the other thread put a 16A plug on it :)

We found that an effective way to stop our workshop powertools being 'borrowed' to other venues/peoples' homes was to buy 110V versions and install a 110V power tool ring to run them off. There's also quite a good safety argument for 110V!

If you know that the sewing machine will only be used by "competent persons", then get an industrial machine (I know the competency issue applies to any piece of machinery, domestic or otherwise, but in reality the potential for sewing your hands together and for removing fingertips is increased exponentially by the use of industrial sewing machines & overlockers). Best place to start is probably sewing machine hire places in yellow pages. They often have refurbed ones for sale (last time my wife hired them, he almost refused to take them back, pointing out that for a few pennies more we could hang on to them. sadly we didn't have the space, which may be another issue for you to consider...). Expect to pay from about £500-£1000 for a well-loved refurbed sewing machine or overlocker.

Having said that, my missus has in the past repaired drapes, and sewn up big clumps of foam for body-padding on her trusty ageing domestic machine... I guess with money to burn, out of preference you go for an industrial machine, but, as they say...You have to cut according to your cloth :huh: :) (I'll get my coat...)

Archived