GCSE course work.

Michael_hunt

Hi,

This is my first post on here so im not sure wat to expect.

I am in year 10 and for my gcse woodwork I am going to build a model theatre, I would like to work with lifts and flybars.

But im not 100 percent how I go about making a working model flybar. should I go

for hemp or counterwieght?

also with the lift, what do you think would be the best way to make it?

The main problem with making working model theatres is getting hold of all the useful stuff you need. I have no idea how easy it is to get (although someone did tell me it's still about), but you need Meccano. The grid will be the thing - L shaped long lengths of mecanno - pulleys and fixings are all part of it. I did the same thing when I was about your age - hemp simulation is of course the easiest - but counterweights are just as do-able, they just use more bits!

If you look at the diagram I've stuck up - it should help you see how the ropes and cables work - then duplicate this using Mecanno.

www.eastanglianradio.com/counterweight.pdf

as for the lift - again meccano - a scissor lift would be simplest and ensure that it comes up through the hole accurately every time - an ironing board style x frame with one end fixed to the base, the end above fixed to the lift. then shoving the other end accross and back should raise and lower it.

I seem to remember making loads of spots out of car lamps and blowing up my hornby transformer because I didn't understand Ohms law!

best of luck paul

Having done a degree in Theatre design which involved a hell of a lot of model-making I can recommend looking for shortcuts like the meccano. Not only does it decrease the amount of work you have to do, but inevitably these kind of products will be more accurate and look more professional than anything you can come up with in a reasonable amount of time.

I found the 'Model Shop' on Old Street in London to be a tremendous resource for materials and pre-made bits such as furniture, figures and such.

Slightly OT, but Michael Northen build a model theatre at his house in Cheyenne Row, London which he used to help on a great many set designs. His autobiography "Northen Lights" discribes it and has one or two photos of it.

It might come in useful when yuo come to write the project up.

The book is also a good read for anyone interested in technical theatre.

Regards

Ellis

Meccano is an expensive way to do it. Better to look in a model shop at brass extrusion, which will drill and solder easily or in Maplin who do perforated metal strips, 300mm x 10mm at £4 for 5.

Mind you, this is meant to be a woodwork project isn't it?

I think that woodwork would be good but the complexness of the bars etc will take some time to do. Assuming that you are doing a large scale (stage about 2.5ftx2ft) then you may be able to buy/make the things like the wheels (not sure of there name) for the fly bar.

If you are planning to make the model out of maccano then make sure that you check the criteria, because from what I remember from last year a percentage had to be made by you. I did eletronics so we had to make the desigen for the PCB and the PCB it self but we brought in components (obvisoualy) and the cases.

I found the 'Model Shop' on Old Street in London to be a tremendous resource for materials and pre-made bits such as furniture, figures and such.

THe Model Shop has moved to The Arches, 120 Leman Street London E1. Click here

Archived