Ok..schools...moving lights...newbie

robhall3192

I understand that everyone is almost under agreement of using moving lights in school.

But we had one bought by our old head of drama and never gets used....

if we wanted to hire a couple for this years show...which I hope we dont...will a Mac250 show up against 1KW PAR and 500W fres ?

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you are rigging them next to 1k pars they will be fine.

Fair enough they won't be as powerful, but you will still get decent optics.

Without having a dig, If your playing with macs, you really should know what power they can kick out.

im really just toying with ideas at the moment as im trying to step up the production levels, so the movers would be used for songs and some gobo effects. the current moving head is some cheap showtec which never kept the same position when programmed . I've never had the chance to work with macs properly...though services many on work experience. So basically I was just wondering if people have tryed this. The rig would probably have 3 or 4 par 64 1kw on full, with about 6 500W fres on full, whilst the macs are in use, so basically if the macs were rigged up at the ends of the band of Pars would they have a powerful enough effect.

I've designed shows in our venue (16 ft grid height, 25 by 22 ft stage) with hired movers on a number of occasions. Depending on exactly what I want them to do dictates what lantern I choose to hire - just like ANY other serious LD.

Our fully kitted basic rig on full 'volume' will wash out a great deal of the light output from a Mac 250, though with a decent haze covering you will see movement and shape to a certain extent. However one key element to using small numbers of movers is to use contrasting colours in your generic fixtures to the colours from the movers.

However, as with many newbies wanting to expand into the ML 'arena' you really need to know what effect you want to achieve THEN decide how to achieve it.

Do what most schools tend to do when they visit us with their van load of hired movers....

Rig them on LX2 or 3 (up stage) and back light a slow rotating break-up gobo through a thick fog of haze every time there is a big ballad / love song.

The teachers will love it. ;)

Guest Noisy
Do what most schools tend to do when they visit us with their van load of hired movers....

Rig them on LX2 or 3 (up stage) and back light a slow rotating break-up gobo through a thick fog of haze every time there is a big ballad / love song.

I agree completely. If I read correctly this is the kind of thing you're going for. Using the macs as an upstage effects light rather than a wash will mean you have more chance of seeing it when used in conjunction with the rest of the rig. At the end of the day, you're not lighting a gig at the 02. A couple of macs upstage will look brilliant in a school production and it's a tried and tested method that, from the sounds of it, shouldn't cause you too much agro!

What production is it for?

C

I understand that everyone is almost under agreement of using moving lights in school.

But we had one bought by our old head of drama and never gets used....

if we wanted to hire a couple for this years show...which I hope we dont...will a Mac250 show up against 1KW PAR and 500W fres ?

If you can try and light the actors/dancers without lighting the entire stage, this will make the mac effects look alot brighter and will look a lot more professional.

Sounds like it will look lovely, good luck with your show!

The Production up and coming is Grease.

In response to Mark S - about throwing technology around. I have designed shows for my AS drama course...and had oppertunities to design local pantos. However I live in the sticks, and so far recieved no direct guidance on how to design a rig, only from here and other websites.

Also the idea of using a couple of movers is only initial ideas and probably will never happen due to budget.

As other have said the break up gobos for the big songs will probably be the main use rather than washing a whole stage.

In terms of rigging space, unfortunatly it is a considerably small stage and has 3 lighitng bars spaced within about 9m, and they are only about 12ft high if that.

But thanks for the useful help some have you have given.

good idea, there could also be a use of them to enhnace the energy in some big numbers aswel.

also if anyone can recomend a good supplier of fixtures are reasonable pricese around the Bristol, Gloucester area. Currently we use CTS in Stroud, but they don't hold many moving fixtures, and Stage electrics are not prefered by those incharge of drama.

Archived