Lyric Extraction

Andy!

I have seen that one in use, and it does a pretty poor job on some tracks. It just takes out certain bands on the graphic EQ if my memory serves me well. It also applies these effects to any sound that is played on the computer, until it is turned off again.

Come on everyone - the idea that you can guarantee removing vocals is still Star Trek stuff - as has been said you can combine or subtract the two channels and use out of phase info to reduce levels and you can filter bands to remove certain material. Karaoke mchines tend to do both BUT it is the original material that sets how well it works. For those not familiar with the technique, if something is present in both left and right channels you can cancel it out to some degree, but you get left with the stereo reverb and effects originally used and you often lose the bass if that's panned dead centre, along with maybe some of the drums. Anything with two singers also rarely works well, as they're panned off centre. Try it with Nora Jones material and you get an amazing 'hole' in the middle and huge amounts of ambience - very weird.

if you have a 5.1 system with some suitable material you can try putting all the tracks into SX or something similar and experimenting with phasing things out - in my experience, sometimes it works, but most times it is dreadful. If you're lucky and lose the vocal, you then have to re-record some parts to fill up the gaps and make it sound fuller, else it isn't very professional sounding.

O yeah thanks. I also sound out that the AC'97 souind card has the capability of but clicking a button and it removes lyrics from all songs on the computer :rolleyes:

It doesn't work very well at all.

I have precisely one track that it actually removes the vocals from, everything else it just makes them sound strange.

As has been mentioned before, accurate vocal removal is currently not possible.

Phase reversal and creative EQing can sometimes strip them out, but you always lose something else as well.

Only way to find out is to suck it and see though - it may be good enough for your purposes, but don't expect miracles.

the phasing with a 5.1 soundtrack is weird, created a 5.1 "mix" from a 2 channel track and reversed a few things and generally buggered around with it, very wierd indeed. if you want a song without lyrics, try getting the midi version, although the music doesnt normally sound just the way YOU want it, it would get you around certain copywright issues and sounds much better than trying to remove lyrics from a 2track recording - in my view anyway

• 2 months later...

How many times will I see this bloody question...

The answer is NO .... It is currently imposible to remove vocals from a mixed down track however.............................

People such as EVERY,KLAPUIR,SERRA,TOLENON among others (including myself in a very small part) are working on signal separation techniques to do such a thing .....

Wait 5 years max and software will be available to completely decompose any mono/stereo multiple instrument tracks....if you cant wait then tough!!!

Mick

There are two ways of getting a backing track.

1 Buy it as a Backing track --- see small ads in The Stage etc

2 Buy it as a Karaoke track -- the tune plays on a standard cd player getting the lyric out takes a cdg player. Multiplex karaoke has the full version on one track and the backing track on the other, crossfade and the lyric magically disappears.

Nothing else really works.

Can we get some terms correct here - it's causing plenty of confusion.

Lyrics are WORDS - getting these out is a karaoke function, as Jovemaster suggests.

Getting the melody/vocal line/solo feature instrument out is the difficult one with technology at it's present state.

It doesn't help when manufacturers inlude the function on their specs - to be honest, I've often wondered why disatisfied customers don't ask for their money back.

If you play with early beatles stuff you can do amazing things with phase cancellation tricks - like the old posts say. they seem to have used left or centre or right panning - very few instruments anywhere else, making messing about easy.

paul

How many times will I see this bloody question...

The answer is NO .... It is currently imposible to remove vocals from a mixed down track however.............................

People such as EVERY,KLAPUIR,SERRA,TOLENON among others (including myself in a very small part) are working on signal separation techniques to do such a thing .....

Wait 5 years max and software will be available to completely decompose any mono/stereo multiple instrument tracks....if you cant wait then tough!!!

Mick

Absolutely true. Nothing can do this totally reliably and well. However, since version 1.5 of Adobe Audition came out, we've had to revise our stock answer over at the Audition Forum (which was a lot like what you just said).

Version 1.5 has a feature called centre channel extractor which, while still being based on flipping phase, also allows you to vary the phase in small increments and/or apply it only to selected frequency bands.

No, it's not a complete cure (and you're more optimistic than me with your five year prediction) but it DOES achieve a lot more than previous things I've tried.

It might be worth downloading the trial....

Bob

Archived