rigging rope

jlsgry

I've bought a few ropes off ebay before, marked up 'For non PPE use' obviously.. Anything I intent to ever use for rope access/PPE is purchased new.

Search for climbing rope, usually a few deals on 25m & 50m going.

If your intending to perhaps use the rope for PPE in the future, just want brand new or black, try Rig Technology

HTH, T

Abacus is also worth a look.

For hauling use you definitely don't want climbing rope, it's dynamic and will stretch lots. Look for a static rope, I tend to use Beal Intervention for rated stuff. Rope Assemblies and Flints sell plenty of unrated stuff, other places may be cheaper.

For hauling use you definitely don't want climbing rope, it's dynamic and will stretch lots. Look for a static rope, I tend to use Beal Intervention for rated stuff. Rope Assemblies and Flints sell plenty of unrated stuff, other places may be cheaper.
Sorry, should have said make sure you get static rope.. Specially for PPE! The static lines from Beal or Edelweiss are perfectly suitable IMO. In my haste I used 'climbing rope' as a slang term to describe ropes primarily designed for outdoor/sports applications. Apologies again..

Second John's suggestion of Abacus, I've bought bits from them before. Quick turn around on shipping orders & getting stuff in stock when they didn't have it. But I've found they're slightly more expensive and weren't able to negotiate even when placing large orders, whilst Rig were.. Even with stuff like this, where at the end of the day its the same product, price is the main thing. Just happens to be that Rig's also got great customer service.

Anyways..

T

the rope im looking for is 5/8inch solid braid polypropylene in orange or red.

That's either a rather short rope, or a very large diameter? did you mean mm by any chance?

Or is that five eighths of an inch? which would be 15mm?

Which is a reasonable thickness for a hauling line if your lifting heavy kit. Much thinner and it's quite hard on the hands.

Which is a reasonable thickness for a hauling line if your lifting heavy kit. Much thinner and it's quite hard on the hands.

This is true, I read it wrong at first, I guess as I'm used to seeing rope diameters in mm.

Sorry OP.

Do bear in mind that 15mm is too thick for the majority of pulleys (and 5/8" is closer to 16mm than 15mm!!!)

I've been thinking of getting a rigging rope, so I'd be interested to know what others are using - make/type, diameter, and length... and why not add colour into the equation!!

I have just bought 25m of Mammut Performance Static 11mm which has been working well so far. It runs through my Petzl Pro-Traxian pulley lovely and has very little stretch (as you would expect from a static line). It was only £1.30/m as well so easily affordable. RE the previous post - it is white with purple flecks! I also have a thinner 10m rope which sits in my rigging pouch attached to my harness so I can drop a small line down to pick up accessories and bits easily from the deck if needed.

I bought mine from Inglesport

UK Rigging have the Derby rope, solid braid , not kern mantle!!! it is not rated but still very popular with most riggers as it is light , cheap and knots well . It does however deteriorate quite quickly and with eventually stiffen and thicken with use, (oo-eer), I personally love it and hate the much heavier kern mantle alternative. Uk rigging has it in shocking pink, and I think Diggerr from manchester has it in pink, black.

I got a 75' for most halls its fine, and a 100' which is starting to get a bit shabby, (after at least 3 years of serious usage, not bad eh).

Hot tip , use it on a few load outs first and let it dragg over the eye beams so roughen it up a bit, as brand new its very smooth and slippy, pretty annoying on those 2 tonners.....

happy hunting

• 2 weeks later...

Archived