How do big Amps do it?

LeroyOZ

Hello everyone,

My question is, how do power amps that produce say 1900W into 4 ohms per channel get it out of a 10a/240V power socket?

I have 2 Camco Tecton 38.4s and am wondering......

They don't. At full power, they will draw much more current. But when playing music with reasonable dynamics, amps draw much less (many makers spec the "usual" current draw at 1/8 power).

And just for reference, a standard UK socket is 240v/13a which equates to ~3000 watts, although it's often more than this (as being discussed here.

<Pedantic mode>

It is in fact 230v +10%/-6% to bring us into line with our European cousins

</Pedantic mode>

I think you'll find that's not always the case. http://cosec.bit.uni-bonn.de/fileadmin/emos/Nerd_smiley.png

Take that for pedantic.

230v +10% / -6% makes the lower limit 216.2v and a higher limit of 253v so 240v is comfortable within those limits hence I am not surprised that when most people still measure their supply they get around 240v (Which is roughly what I get anyway).

It still does not change the fact that the standard is meant to be 230v

<Pedantic mode>

</Pedantic mode>

Just for accuracy, our power is now 230V +10%/-10%. +10%/-6% was the transition period of 1995-2008.

<Pedantic mode>

</Pedantic mode>

Just for accuracy, our power is now 230V +10%/-10%. +10%/-6% was the transition period of 1995-2008.

I was hoping no one would point that out as I realised about 4 hours after posting that info that is was now out of date.

Once again I underestimated the power of the blue room pedantic machine

To make this post “slightly” useful here is a link to a peavey (stop laughing at the back) paper about the effect

http://www.peavey.com/support/technotes/ha...y/chapter_4.pdf

To make this post “slightly” useful here is a link to a peavey (stop laughing at the back) paper about the effect

Well I didn't laugh (honest) until I got to the bit about toilets :P

<Insert comment about them needing to put as much time and thought into their designs as their papers>

Wasn't the CS800 actually built like a brick ****house?!

I KNEW this post would generate sarcasm, the word 'Peavey' alone brings smiles to the faces of most sound ops.

I think their amps are the best Peavey have, everything else is pretty dire. ( although I use some peavey stuff myself) :P

Archived