Matrix Green

Andy!

Hey,

What gel do you think looks most like the matrix green (like in the codding) I wasnt sure if it was more like L121 or L124. What I am gonig to be doing is having a line of pinspots with the green gel just creating a sort of light curtain.

Anyone got any ideas.

Thank you

Andy,

Matrix green? Codding? Sorry, but in the words of the great Lloyd Bridges in 'Hot Shots' ... "I haven't got a clue what you're on about, son, not a freakin' clue"!

Presumably you're trying to find a match for a colour that you've seen elsewhere - in which case, get yourself a Lee or Rosco swatch book and a small light source, and experiment until you find something close.

I have a feeling I know what your on about.... I'd use perhaps L735 (Velvet Green), L139 (Primary Green) or L124. Don't know it's hard to say, I think I'd have to put some gel in the lights and have a play with it to see what I was happy with.

HTH

Stu

Matrix green? Codding? Sorry, but in the words of the great Lloyd Bridges in 'Hot Shots' ... "I haven't got a clue what you're on about, son, not a freakin' clue"!

Presumably you're trying to find a match for a colour that you've seen elsewhere - in which case, get yourself a Lee or Rosco swatch book and a small light source, and experiment until you find something close.

The Codeing that comes down when they are watchnig the matrix... sorry I should have also noted I am taking about the film not a realt matrix.

Stu: yeah the L735 ist that bad I might go for that.

Thanks for you help.

Come on Gareth, you got to be hip with the latest thang if you want to hang with the kids on the forum. :D

Maybe you were deep in a production week every time one of the Matrix film trilogy hit the screens :o

Come on Gareth, you got to be hip with the latest thang if you want to hang with the kids on the forum. :P

Hey, I'm hip! I'm down with the kids, daddy-o! Groovy! :D

(It probably doesn't do much for my 'rep' with the 'kids' to have spent a large part of today listening to some classic 70's prog rock - you'll have to go a long way to beat 'Los Endos' from the Seconds Out album, turned up really, really loud. :o "I know what I like, and I like what I know" ... so b*ll*cks to all that cack that inhabits the charts at the moment!)

As for the Matrix films - I've never seen any of them. Neither do I have any intention to see them. Unless someone can come up with a convincing argument as to why I should. Which I doubt they will ... ;)

Convincing arguement: So that you can identify the gel required to recreate the opening sequence?

Not having seen the opening sequence, and therefore not being aware of any merits which it may or may not have, explain to me why I would want to recreate it! :D

Gareth. Every so often in all walks of life there are people who make the world a better place to be in. They raise the standard of their field and become the benchmark, or high watermark against who all new comers are measured. For example Who did we have to compare genius in music with before Mozart, Before Beethoven Before Bach? In Art who was there before Picasso, Before DaVinchi, Who could you compare Lighting to before Michael Northern? SF Film before 2001, Before Metropolis?

These little events, productions and people represent high water marks of talent. They needn't be the best ever, they can be flawed but they represent a known marker, where we can say that the genre changed. English Literature changed when Cantebury Tales was published. English Theatre was changed when Shakespear started writing. I believe that the SF Film genre changed when the matrix was released. True it wasn't a 100% original concept, (See Existenz etc) It wasn't the first time that bullet time was used, however it drew a number of elements together to create a sum greater than that of it's component parts. Taking an advanced SciFi concept and making it acceptable, Also raising the standard of presentation of SciFi films for years to come.

Just my 2p

James

James, you miss my point completely. I'm sure the Matrix and its sequels are excellent films - let's face it, if they weren't they wouldn't have done the millions of dollars' worth of box office that they have done. All I was saying is that I've never seen any of them, and there's no likelihood of that changing in the foreseeable future as they're really not my kind of movie. If you like them, then that's great - I don't have any problem with that. I'm not going to force the films that I like onto you, and I'd expect the same from you in return!

(P.S. - I get the impression that you've used that 'speech' before ... :D )

Gareth, I thought your point was

As for the Matrix films - I've never seen any of them. Neither do I have any intention to see them. Unless someone can come up with a convincing argument as to why I should. Which I doubt they will ...

I tried to take up your challenge of building a convincing argument..

Sorry If I missed your point (I just wanted to mention a couple of reasons why I think it's worth seing the Matrix even if one isn't into SF films, Same as I think you should see 2001, and someone who wouldn't normaly watch a shakespeare film could get something out of watching Baz Lurman's Romeo & Juliet) Hey I'm not saying go out and buy / hire it now, just I would say think twice about turning down the opertunity to see it.

Anyway back to the point - I'm not sure the choice of green is as important as what you do with it, Half the point of the introduction is the words within words, characters within characters elements within elements, that you will not get with flashing a bunch of green pinspots, Possibly you might get the sence of perspective with a few animation wheels, and some staggered gauzes to give a sence of space but I can't see pinspots being "read" as the opening to the matrix, If that is the effect you want could you not use a projector or a number of stagered asymetricaly flown large TV monitors?

James

I think that James' points are valid, and even if you dont like SciFi films I think the Matrix is a very good example of Perceptions, and how our life perceptions can be changed in an instant, it also allows you to question what your seeing and how we are conditioned to believe what we see,

it simply asks you to ask the questions

Perception and How Human Perception works is an important tool to understand as a Lighting Designer

on the other hand, it's a very good beginning for a film - that in itself makes it worth a look at on vhs - no need to splash out on the dvd malarkey if you don't like them already.

for what it's worth, the films are thought provoking on some core assumptions of life = a reason to go.

if you are trying to recreate the image I suggest that you use a gauze and put the spots a fair distance back to blur their beams a bit [assuming you rig them as a wall of lights]

the 327 seems the one for me as the code would need to be dark in an otherwise whole b/o to be effective as in the film.

all the best though - please put some images of it online if possible - it would be worth trying if I had a lot of time free.

cheers

andrew :D

Archived