A dodgy venue

casey_cole

I have just visited a private primary school in the midlands with a holiday group, and while working with their lighting system (which I was allowed to do), I took photographic evidence of some safety concerns:

* no safety chains on lanterns

* live 13A plugs taped together, badly chipped or damaged, with no back plate(!!!) (with PAT test stickers <_<)

* cables with seperated, stripped tails at one end and 13A plugs at the other end, left lying around.

* things gaffa'd to lighting bars above the audience

* 13A plugs used for lanterns (I think that's contravening some regs but I can't remember)

I feel compelled to do something with this information as I think it's completely unacceptable behaviour in a theatre - let alone in a primary school!

My question is who shall I contact with this information? Should I contact the school first, or go straight to the council?

Cheers,

CC

From my point of view, I think you should contact the school first and point out these issues. If they don't take your advice then I think you should contact the council.

To posters: This is my opinion and I wouldn't call myself a professional (yet), so please don't have a rant at me.

If it was me, I'd tell them I'm going to fix it, then fix it and invoice them a reasonable sum to do it.

If you don't feel able to take direct action to make things safe your first duty of care must be to communicate your concerns to the person who is directly in control of the building. In this case I'd have thought the headteacher would be your best bet. Do it in writing and keep a copy to forward up the chain if nothing happens. Make it very clear that you consider the building to be in an unsafe state for both employees and members of the public to be permitted access.

In all such situations the priority is to get the system safe, not to get people into trouble with higher authorities - this can come later if necessary.

There's nothing wrong with 13A plugs on lanterns as long as they're correctly fused and not so close to the heat source that they're likely to exceed their maximum rated temperature.

Just one thing to remember - if you're deemed competent to know better and don't do enough to rectify things you'll be held just as culpable as the numpty who left the gear that way in the event of an accident.

Ok, cheers for your replies guys. I'll give the head a shout and tell him my concerns.

I made sure that all the kids on our holiday were banned from the areas with the dodgy kit, and unplugged the stuff I could get at, but with no tools or anything I couldn't go any further.

CC

I'd echo the above and say contact the school first before taking things further, most importantly you must do something as you yourself have a duty of care.

However one thing to note:-

* 13A plugs used for lanterns (I think that's contravening some regs but I can't remember)

Not the case, there are no safety reasons/legislation against using 13amp plugs for lanterns.

Of course, if they don't have the money to fix it they'll simply turn it all off and it'll never get fixed or used again.

Interesting call.

Working in a school I can make an educated comment :P :** laughs out loud **:

The above is exactly why you should not do ANY work not agreed beforehand, otherwise you will probably have to stand the cost yourself.

As suggested, write to the Headteacher and anyone else such as the caretaker who you think have 'something' to do with the installation.

The quote above is very true, however that's their problem :D

It's very sad, but I've seen a number of schools / community centres in similar situations, which 9/10 times is because they don't/can't pay anyone to look after such things.

It's usually councillors to blame, who think it's a marvellous idea to tack on a "theatre" to their new school/sports hall/community centre, but then don't provide the funding for proper technicians to run it. They just don't realise that unless cared for it will turn to ruin in a short space of time.

I agree with others that initially you MUST make sure the head teacher knows of your concerns. If nothing happens as a result, I would go as far as informing HSE, who would take a very dim view of what you have reported. Harsh, but there are potentially children's lives at risk here! The head teacher knows his/her responsibilities w.r.t. H&S and will act in the first instance if he has any sense.

I have drafted a letter:

Dear XXXX,

I recently visited your school as part of the XXXX group from the 3rd to the 11th April. During the week, we used the XXXX Hall for our evening program of sketches, songs and quizzes - and my letter relates to the theatre lighting system in place in the hall.

As a student theatre-technician I have some experience in electrical safety with respect to working with lighting systems in theatres. I was surprised to find sub-standard working practices in place in the theatre as well as damaged and dangerous equipment both lying around and in use.

Enclosed are some of the most pressing issues which I would like to draw to your attention. Due to these issues, I consider the theatre to be in an unsafe state, dangerous to employees, children and the general public. As someone with prior knowledge of theatre safety, I have a duty of care to inform you of these small and easily rectifiable issues to ensure that the theatre is made safe as a priority. My aim is not to cause XXXX any trouble with local authorities.

This is not a communication from XXXX; it is a personal concern. I look forward to receiving a reply by email to “XXXX” addressing any queries or concerns you may have.

Yours Sincerely,

Does that look ok? I've then enclosed 3 pages of the issues with photos and an explanation of why they're dangerous and how I would rectify them.

I wouldn't worry about the money - fixing the stuff will be an afternoon's work for 1 man, tops. I just hope he takes me seriously.

CC

Good letter, I would probably fudge the issue more and say;

'SOME substandard working practices' and 'I FELT I HAD a duty of care'

But this is your call, as you don't work for them it doesn't really matter if you upset them.

I would definitely go to the school first. In fact rather than sending a letter, I'd find out who is responsible for the lights (which maybe no-one in particular!) and speak to them on the phone or even arrange to pop in. A friendly chat along the lines of "I'm worried about this - are you aware it's rather dangerous?" is always the best starting point. That can lead nicely on to, "I'd like to just drop you a note summarising my concerns so you have them in writing".

When you send the letter, along with other people's sensible comments, you could also add something like, "It is possible that some of the issues break health and safety legislation and it would be sensible to address them urgently". Perhaps copy your letter to the head so it's in the system.

I'd also limit your comments to definite problems - a lighting rig using (undamaged) 13A plugs may be a bit naff but it's not going to hurt anyone, whereas any plug without a cover is a potential deathtrap and definitely illegal. Lack of safeties isn't necessarily a problem (puts fireproof suit on!) but would probably be a good idea in a school. Definitely emphasise (as you have) the ease of putting it right - you don't want them to condemn the rig because of a few broken plugs.

You're not the H&S police so I wouldn't worry too much about following this up.

I'm going to disagree with Dave about going in for a chat.

I think that you want to have as little dialogue with then as possible and you do not want to be the person offering recomendations as to how they should solve their problems unless you are competant to do so and they are paying you to take the blame if something goes wrong.

Archived