13 amp DMX dimmer?

jonnyl94

I run a mobile disco and light wise, I've been using DMX LED par cans, some acme scanners + a laser ect. all controlled off of a DMX board for a while, but I recently bought 8 mini strobes (the cheap kind) and they create a great effect when placed across the top of the rig.

I have them all wired through 2 four point extensions and, yeah, well, not cool atm.

So yes, I've been browsing for a while for a nice, compact, 13 amp dimmer, but surprisingly enough I can't find one :S

Any advice?

Cheers

J

You wont be able to dim the strobes. They have control circuitry and they won't be happy if they are connected to a dimmer.

What you want is a DMX Relay pack. Something like this from CPC. Although you would have to box it yourself, it would be the best solution.

Josh

What problem are you trying to solve? I'm presuming, because you mentioned them, that you don't want to use as many extention leads. Can you not make up some cables that are long enough for you to be able to plug all your strobes in to one extention? Maybe I'm missing the point entirely here... Why exactly do you want a dimmer?

But to answer your question, this dimmer is quite compact: http://www.bluearan.co.uk/index.php?id=SHO...semode=category

You'll have to be careful with the loading you put on it with it using a 13A power source.

The above would be fine if the O/P were wanting to control some tungsten lamps E.G. Par Cans.

However, the OP is looking to control some Strobes, which just don't work properly when put through a dimmer.

That is why I recommended a DMX Relay Pack.

Josh

You wont be able to dim the strobes. They have control circuitry and they won't be happy if they are connected to a dimmer.

What you want is a DMX Relay pack. Something like this from CPC. Although you would have to box it yourself, it would be the best solution.

Josh

Or just get a ready-made 4 channel DMX switch pack like this one for just £53!

Yes, I understood that, that's why I asked what problem the OP is trying to solve. It seems a bit strange that someone would want to swap extension cables for a dimmer.

Thanks for the advice guys,

Yeah a DMX switch sounds about right, and in regards to the quoted reply, I'm fed up with controlling the strobes by switching them off by unplugging them <_<

J

Josh

Or just get a ready-made 4 channel DMX switch pack like this one for just £53!

Chances are that is a solid state switch pack. i.e. One that needs a certain resistive load on it in order to function correctly. One that strobes wont provide. I speak from experience.

Josh

You're basically after any switch pack that has actual relays inside.

The Milford Instruments unit linked to at CPC/Farnell should do the job nicely, but do take care when designing and building the enclosure!

Archived