CONTROLLING A MIXER OVER THE NET?!

Gigalite

heyup,

does anyone know if there is such a device out there which would enable me to control signal levels by sending commands over the internet.

It would only need to be able to handle 4 or so inputs and one output.

need to be able to make the odd level adjustment without actually going to the venue!

any ideas or experiece welcome - cheers,

Alex

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Fascinating!

How will you know if your level adjustment has made it better or worse if you're not there?

If you've got someone there who's going to tell you (maybe by email or mobile phone) then why don't you just train them in how to push a fader down?

Wow, that was a very helpful comment, and there couldn't possibly be any sensible reasons why someone may want to control sound remotely, either for their own personal enjoyment, or maybe for some theatre performance. I think a much more helpful, friendly reply from a MOD would be "This is an unusual request, may I ask what you intend to use this for?"

How can someone with such a closed mind come up with genuinely amazing ideas?

JSB makes a good point though! It doesn't take much to learn how to adjust a fader or pot!

That said, if you're on a digital desk you could use the offline editor/computer app thing that most have with a remote desktop connection as a simple solution.

A more complex one would be to send the raw data packets (as midi?) over the internet that then get converted to midi (port mapping in the network router then a ethernet to midi converter?) to automate the desk.

Fascinating!

How will you know if your level adjustment has made it better or worse if you're not there?

If you've got someone there who's going to tell you (maybe by email or mobile phone) then why don't you just train them in how to push a fader down?

Wow, that was a very helpful comment, and there couldn't possibly be any sensible reasons why someone may want to control sound remotely, either for their own personal enjoyment, or maybe for some theatre performance. I think a much more helpful, friendly reply from a MOD would be "This is an unusual request, may I ask what you intend to use this for?"

How can someone with such a closed mind come up with genuinely amazing ideas?

Maybe you read my post with the wrong tone of voice. I am genuinely interested in why the OP wants to do this. If it is a reason that may apply to me sometime, then I may be able to use the answers suggested myself in which case this thread will be very useful.

JSB asks an excellent and completely valid question. How would you know if your change has been successful? Do you need an audio foldback channel? A webcam to see if the audience's ears are bleeding? Will you have someone at the venue to "guide" you?

The "shortness" of the response to him makes me feel unwilling to respond, in case I get the same treatment... However, I'm bigger than that.

To the OP - Ggo and look at digital installation mixers with ethernet interfaces. Something like the Allen & Heath iDR range, or equivalent from many other manufacturers.

Ok, it is possible to control a LS9 over enternet, by extension, you should be able to control it over the 'net by setting the internet conncetion in the router to forward the port used by the control software. You'd then connect to the IP address of the router which would allow you to control the LS9.

I know the above is a bit OTT for 4 inputs and an output but it is still a valid suggestion that will work if nothing else is available.

Josh

A concurrent post has been automatically merged from this point on.

A bit of further Googling (Sorry Lightnix <_<) has reveiled that Audionics make this

Josh

Are you going to be able to hear the goings on over the www?

You gots it!

I wouldn't ever dream of trying to mix FOH from somewhere other than the venue.

Mad concept really!

This is purely to be able to make level adjustments of a few sources which are then uploaded to the net.

rather than having to visit the venue everytime.

This is purely to be able to make level adjustments of a few sources which are then uploaded to the net.

rather than having to visit the venue everytime.

If it could be made to work this is no where as silly as it may have seemed to some people at first glance!

I for one would be very interested in this concept as I live a 30 min drive away from the venue

On many occasions since we installed the LS9-32 I have had to drive up there to adjust or tweak some little item that has caused a problem

If I could do this from home over the web using Studio Manager it would be a very useful facility indeed - I shall watch with interest

Cheers

Anton

If it could be made to work this is no where as silly as it may have seemed to some people at first glance!

Nobody has said it was silly. All that people have asked is how you would monitor the changes.

On many occasions since we installed the LS9-32 I have had to drive up there to adjust or tweak some little item that has caused a problem

If I could do this from home over the web using Studio Manager it would be a very useful facility indeed - I shall watch with interest

This would be relatively simple to set up.

You would need a computer running studio manager connected directly to the LS9 and also to the internet (use a router/switcher). Then using Remote Desktop or RealVNC you would be able to remotely operate the LS9 connected computer from anywhere you can get internet access.

Cheers,

Peter

Nobody has said it was silly. All that people have asked is how you would monitor the changes.

Steady on Bruce, it was just a figure of speech, not an accusation that some people on the forum are silly!

My, my, some people on this forum can't half be touchy! Just another figure of speech <_<

Cheers

Anton

It's worth saying that people have latched onto the LS9 but you could do this trick with pretty much any Yamaha digital mixer. I've certainly controlled the 01V96, DM1000, DM2000, M7CL and PM5D via Wifi (during setup) and suspect adding the internet link wouldn't be much more.

If we're not talking about a Yamaha digital mixer, I guess the first question is "can you establish computer control of whatever you're using". If the answer is "yes" then I suspect simply using something like PC Anywhere would do the trick.

...providing you sort out the issue of monitoring what you're doing which sounds sorted if you're only controlling net feeds.

Bob

Archived