Lighting Desks

skivvy

Hi All,

Hope I've posted this in the right section!

Tonight my lighting desk started to play up, it's a Zero 88 Sirius 48. Looks like after months of nagging the management finally agree that it's time to buy a new lighting desk.

My question is, does anyone know whats a good desk to replace it with? Our rig is all generics and ideally looking for something easy to use as I quite often train young people on how to use it.

I've been looking at the frog range which seems an ideal replacement. Would you agree?

If anyone also has any suggestions on what companies etc to try, that would be most helpful. I believe my budgets not great... so I may be looking for an ex-hire or second hand desk.

Thanks in advance!

Chris

I know many of the people on the forum may not agree with me and fair enough, their professinals so they know far more!

But my school currently has a Sirius 48 as well and a desk which is newer and is generally much the same as that desk is the Strand 200 48.

It's a fairly simple desk for generic fixtures and I personerally quite like it for some of the stuff I do however there is obviously much better desks - also I agree with Josh if you wish to upgrade to movers in the future, go for the Frog range. However for a generic rig which you plan to keep for the years to come, I recommend Strand 200.

Forgot about company's - Noticed you were based in Glasgow, the obvious company's in Scotland being Blacklight & Northern Light (both Edinburgh based) as well as many other companies who may be able to help.

I'm based near Dundee and our local is AML Lighting however I'm not sure if Ali has Strand desks. If you want you can come to Arbroath (where I am based) and I can show you the Strand 200 that I have. :** laughs out loud **:

Thanks for the replies guys... moving heads will never be an options in my venue. So it's generics all the way!!

Thanks Ali for the offer but thats maybe a bit far to travel. I'll maybe pop in to see the guys at Audio Light Systems to see what they have.

Didn't consider the jester... Ideally we're looking for something in the 3 figure area. May look into this a bit more!

Cheers,

Chris

Didn't consider the jester... Ideally we're looking for something in the 3 figure area. May look into this a bit more!

Have you tried Used Lighting as well? I haven't looked on that for a while but they usually have quite a few desks to chose from!

Ah yes, the TLxtra. I forgot to mention that.

To the OP, what type of venue is it?

If it is live music, a Jester 24/48 Brand New for less than £1000 has 24 Physical Sub Masters and at least 10 pages with which to program states/chases onto.

If it is a theatre venue, the TLxtra gives you a very powerful console for the money @ just under £1700.

Josh

I use a Jester 24/48 at school I teach lighting to 11 year olds They helped me unpack it and they had is working within 5 minutes of unboxing it. Under my supervision of course. It ias a great desk for children. You can not only teach them 2 preset work on it but also sub masters and programing. It is also simple enough that an untrained person can get lights up and running in no time if the regular operator is not there. as you work for a youth theatre (education etc) Zero88 also do an awards scheme that you are probably eligable to apply to.

http://community.zero88.com/en/awards

good luck

ABT

Second vote for the strand 200 .

Used in a school for 8 years ! only one minor fault to date .

The programming is really easy and simple and fares well for shows short and long.

The only downside is that it cant handle intelligent fixtures ,but as these are not required by you all should be fine.

Cheers

Sam

Have you tried Used Lighting as well?

I had a quick look yesterday and seen a few frogs etc, which I have passed onto the management for their consideration.

To the OP, what type of venue is it?

It's mostly a theatre venue, but we hold band nights, dance shows etc. So there's an element of programming and busking.

Zero88 also do an awards scheme that you are probably eligable to apply to.

I didn't know this. I'm now looking into it!

Many thanks all for your help!

Cheers,

Chris

If it is live music, a Jester 24/48 Brand New for less than £1000 has 24 Physical Sub Masters and at least 10 pages with which to program states/chases onto.

IIR the 10 pages are only accessible if linked to the TL or ML. The TL and TLXtra have them as standard

Sort of, Just checked the Zero88 Website.

The Jester 24/48 has 24 Sub masters and 1 page.

The JesterML, ML24 & ML48 have 48 Submasters and 20 pages. How you control these depends on the model you have.

The JesterTL & TLXtra have 240, Controled either from the DMX Input or the MFKs and on the TLXtra 20 pages of 10 Subs on the Faders.

A Jester 24/48 would make a good choice for you IMO, it is nice and easy to use, buskable and has a good Cue Stack too.

Josh

Archived