SMALL mixing desk required

johndenim

Hi All.

Yes, I know, the title makes you say, " oh no not again!" but I have searched and didn't find what I am looking for.

I'm looking for suggestions for a new mixer, SMALL being the prominent word.

Not small as in two channels, but I'm thinking 5 or 6.

Must have built in effects, and have faders as opposed to pots on each channel.

I already use a Behringer 1204 fx as a second mixer for karaoke/disco, but to be quite honest it sounds garbage.

Any suggestions?

Budget would be simply, as low as possible!

Or if anyone can find a relevent topic on BR that would be appreciated, but I have looked, honest!

Yamaha MG's, not really.

Mixwiz, too expensive.

Spirit folio, mmm, too big?

Hi All.

Yes, I know, the title makes you say, " oh no not again!" but I have searched and didn't find what I am looking for.

I'm looking for suggestions for a new mixer, SMALL being the prominent word.

Not small as in two channels, but I'm thinking 5 or 6.

Must have built in effects, and have faders as opposed to pots on each channel.

I already use a Behringer 1204 fx as a second mixer for karaoke/disco, but to be quite honest it sounds garbage.

Any suggestions?

Budget would be simply, as low as possible!

Or if anyone can find a relevent topic on BR that would be appreciated, but I have looked, honest!

Yamaha MG's, not really.

Mixwiz, too expensive.

Spirit folio, mmm, too big?

Mackie DFX6? I use on of these for my small PA and it sounds pretty good. Mackie DFX 6

Going rate seems to be around the £120 mark if you can find one as they appear to be discontinued!

Andy :oops:

John - maybe a bit left field, but I've got an Alesis iMultimix8 USB, which combines a small mixer, an iPod dock which has recording capability, and a capable FX unit. The FX are really surprisingly good - much better than on my Behringer SL2442FX - and the iPod functionality is a bonus. Very solidly built, and it fits neatly into one of those aluminium toolbox style cases. Studiospares were knocking them out quite cheaply a while back.

+1 for the MultiMixes. Very few 'bonus' features other than the main advertised ones but they do what they say on the tin and do it very well.

I've never used one, and to be honest, know nothing about them, bud Edirol makes a (very, VERY small) digital mixer which costs very little. The only thing is that it doesn't have faders, only pots.

10 ch (2x preamps)

16 ch (4x preamps)

Bear in mind I've never used one of these so I'm not recommending them, just pointing out they exist. Personally, I'd be dubious of any digital mixer for less than £1k.

I can only agree with a couple of the suggestions above, as I have limited experience in buying mixers!

However, just to drift a little :oops:

What is it about the Behringer thats garbage? I know they are anyway... :D but wondered what specifically?

I keep thinking about them as a budget mixer to have 'booting around' for the odd occasion with a singer ('cause it's got reverb ;) )

Is it the overall sound quality, or the effect stage, or does it hum etc etc?

Thanks

I can only agree with a couple of the suggestions above, as I have limited experience in buying mixers!

However, just to drift a little :oops:

What is it about the Behringer thats garbage? I know they are anyway... :D but wondered what specifically?

I keep thinking about them as a budget mixer to have 'booting around' for the odd occasion with a singer ('cause it's got reverb ;) )

Is it the overall sound quality, or the effect stage, or does it hum etc etc?

Thanks

TBH for me its the lack of low end, and the pre amps are really bad, I don't have the control like I do on my Dynacord desk.

It would be nice to have a para EQ as well, I don't want channel pots, karaoke singers with no experience of mic control sing low levels on the quiet parts but near enough blow my cabs on the 'shouty' parts, I have even considered a compressor to stop 'em trying to blow my cabs!

How about the Yamaha MG124CX - built-in effects, built-in compressor on 4 channels, channel faders not pots. 3-band EQ, one switchable aux out, up to 6 mic inputs, 2-4 stereo inputs etc.

You'll struggle to find a 6 channel mixer with parametric EQ without spending silly money. Three Midas XL42s in a 3u rack would do the trick but silly money they definitely are.

Out of interest, what's so bad about the Yamaha MG series that you're not considering them?

Out of interest, what's so bad about the Yamaha MG series that you're not considering them?

It's not that I don't like the MG, I used to own a 16/6 FX.

TBH the effects are not up to much, I had to use a cheap zoom effects unit instead.

The faders are nice and smooth, and construction is solid, but the preamps are not that great, I just couldn't work with it.

Besides, I'm only after 8 channels max, and the smaller MG's have pots on each volume control, which is what I don't want.

The soundcraft EFX 8 looks nice, but it's a bit pricey.

I will look into revbobs recommendation though.

Archived