6pin XLR what cable should I use?

TAFFY

Hello, I have recently acquired a strand LBX for work; It came with a designer remote with 6 pin XLR.

What I want to do is run a cable from the desk to the side of the stage about 70feet away (21.33600 meters) I would like to know what cable I should use for this.

Another idea I had was to use the RS232 connector and buy a ready made cable, I have the convertor.

Any thought will be much appreciated

Thanks

Jon

Could you convert to Cat 5 and back at the other end? Always useful for sending comms signals down long distances.

Remember that to drive RS232 reliably at distances over about 15m you'll need decent cable which can get expensive. It's not at all uncommon to convert to RS485 and back again if the distance warrants it since RS485 will go down the proverbial wet string.

I can't remember, but I think the LBX remote is wired the same way as the 500 series remotes. If this is the case then they only use 4 pins, 2 for power & 2 for data. If this is the case then do what I did with our 500 remote and build some 6 to 4 pin adaptors and then just use scroller cable to extend as required.

Glyn

I can't remember, but I think the LBX remote is wired the same way as the 500 series remotes.

According to the LBX/GSX service guide this is the pin out for the remote:

Pin 1 : Screen GND

Pin 2 : +10V

Pin 3 : Data + 485

Pin 4 : Data - 485

Pin 5 : 232 Rx

Pin 6 : 232 Tx

Chris

The GSX and LBX (and 500 series) used RS232 for the wired riggers remote - the RS485 pins should not be connected. The RS232 is very slow (about 9600) so it will actually work down quite a long cable. Its a good idea to use a few conductors for the 10V and GND connections, so you don't suffer too badly from voltage drop on a longer cable. As Glyn says, back in the day, it was quite common to use 4 pin scroller cable for this, with a set of jumpers at each end, wired so that the thick 2.5mm power cores in the scroller cable are used for the remote power lines.

Martin

Archived