Sennheiser Freeport Question

HilcrRWise

Are the Sennheiser Freeport and EW300 G2 systems compatible?

Is it possible to use the beltpack transmitter and mic from an EW300G2 with the Freeport receiver and the Freeport handheld transmitter with the EW300G2 receiver?

Yes, it is possible.

You DO have to disable pilot tone on the 300 series whether it be the receiver or the transmitter.

You will have to look at the frequencies that the freeport is working on and tune the 300 series to that. All will work in a fashion.

I wouldn't recommend it. There is a compression technique to lower the noise floor on the 300 series G2 which isn't present on the freeports so you might end up with a somewhat dull sound but it will function in a stable manner.

Why? What's the reason behind it?

We currently have 6 EW300's (beltpacks) that we use for main productions/events but they are mounted in a large rack case with the other production kit. I am now in the process of planning an installed AV cabinet for our school hall for everyday use, and if I don't include a couple of radio mics in the cabinet I just know one day they will come to me and say they want to use a mic in the hall next period which would require me to dismantle the productions rack case to get at the EW300 receivers. Obviously I intend to recommend getting a couple more EW300's for this cabinet but if they feel the budget is too tight for them I want to give them the cheaper option of a couple of freeport handhelds that can also use our existing EW300 beltpacks as well.

You have to remember their life expectancy, they're most likely not going to be able to be used after 2012.

If anything the freeports are the way to go due to their lower costs but you might consider looking for a couple of second hand G1 100 series receivers on ebay or the likes if you don't need full systems. You can regularly pick up a receiver only for £80-£90 or so.

Archived