Making my own smoke fluid.

jamed2017

Hello folks of the blueroom.

Im after makin some smoke machine fluid. I found a guide on the internet http://www.bigclive.com/smoke.htm

But im not sure whether it will damage my smoke machine. Its an acme HP3.

I figure its going to be a dam site cheaper than paying 24pound for a bottle of the acme stuff.

Or if anyone else has a better recapie I would be very much appreciate it.

Cheers

Jimmy

Clive has covered everything you need to know. It's your risk. Essentially as long as the water is pure, you make sure the concentration is high enough to avoid spitting and you flush the heater regularly there should be no problem. But if you do use in public areas then I would think twice, purely from a legal point-of-view & in the unlikely event that anything went wrong.

As said above, it is your risk, and given the cost of acme fog fluid, personally I dont see the point

there are issues using incorrect fluids with smoke machines - apart from the obvious issues like invalidating and warranty on the machine, you also have issues like ensuring that your home made fluid has the same boiling point to ensure correct vaporisation, and to avoid spitting of hot un-vaporised fluid, or at the other end of the scale, overheating the fluid and cracking the components into several toxic compounds that glycol and glycerol produce if burnt

so I would say, tread very carefully

Guest lightnix

Tread carefully indeed :P

IIRC commercial smoke / haze fluids comply with COSHH, home made ones do not (unless you pay to get them tested - then you'll get an insight into why the commercial stuff costs £24 a bottle :) ).

Smoke is an aerosol of a chemical in air that people are subjected to. Would you be totally able to prove that your fluid was safe, human friendly, non toxic or corrosive etc.

I LIKE BigClive's work but for business purposes the proposed fluid comes a LONG way short of a manufacturer's product.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

As said above,

Warranty will be void, risk of damaging health, both your own and others, void insurance ect. are all issues, but you never know ;) You may scrape through with no scars <_<

However if I were you, while experimenting I'd get yourself a seriously cheap fogger, like a £20 one so you don't wind up knackering the one you have if you make a mistake.

Ones like these are good: http://www.hartnollguitars.co.uk/products.asp?id=143 (just for testing purposes of course)

And also, the acme fluids are expensive but good. The smoke that's produced from the cheapy fluid lingers about for 10 secs then is gone, whereas most of the acme stuff lasts ages.

Well good luck anyway ;)

J

Archived