Super-Simple PA

Bryson

The anchor units (with or without battery) are amazing for their size. We bought one at my last venue for exactly the same purpose as you say. (dance studio, amatuers blah blah blah) and it was perfect.

They set you back a few grand in the UK, but I'm guessing the shipping adds to that, so you'll be cheaper.

The MiPro stuff is pretty good too, but not as robust (you'd notice the difference in weight and feel).

The CD player unit in these things tends to be a automotive style, so vibrations aren't an issue. I can see why you'd think that though.

It's fair to say that you are never going to get brilliant sound of of these things, but the anchor does a pretty good job.

is it just me, or is the idea of building a cd player into a speaker cabinet possibly the daftest idea ever conceived?

:blink: you'd have thought so! I can only speak about Coombers.... but they are suprisingly good. Bear in mind all-in-one units like that aren't exactly kicing out 100's of watts and certainly not what you could call 'tuned' cabinets. They are only really vulnerable to external vibration that would affect a CD player anyway.

With Coomber players etc... yes it's fine as the speakers have the same amount of power as a larger TV.

With something like the Stagepas 500 (which is a genuine PA system), you really wouldn't want to build the player into the speakers.

RE the Carlsbros: yes, they work and they are pretty easy to transport, but they're (IMO) very weedy sounding and very easy to push into clipping, and simply aren't built as well as Yamaha's offerings.

Have a look at the Coomber website .http://www.coomber.co.uk/Products_2070.html

They ve been going for nearly 30 yrs . Built like Tanks , british built and they WILL ship anywhere....

Many schools use them , Idiot Proof and simple to use.

Matt

Available for Sale in North America. That means the Coomber stuff is out.

(my bold)

Bryson's OP was not that long. Surley it's not that hard to read it all :blink:

Quoted from the coomber website"We are happy to supply to anyone, anywhere in the world but please note that prices on this website do not include VAT or delivery charges. If you wish to confirm these prior to ordering please contact us. "

So the Coomber stuff is still in mix.... ;)

Matt

Quoted from the coomber website"We are happy to supply to anyone, anywhere in the world but please note that prices on this website do not include VAT or delivery charges. If you wish to confirm these prior to ordering please contact us. "

So the Coomber stuff is still in mix.... ;)

Matt

Matt,

For someone who supposedly works for a "major uk entertainment operator" you have so far asked some pretty beginner level questions and are now offering some pretty stupid advice. If it was you would you really want to pay the shipping charges and excise duty for a one off order from a country several thousand miles away for goods with no approved service agents in the intended country of use? Personally in Bryson's shoes I'd go for the Anchor stuff its better made IMNSHO and made in the US so way easier to get service under warranty if needed or to get parts etc.

Charlie

Matt,

For someone who supposedly works for a "major uk entertainment operator" you have so far asked some pretty beginner level questions and are now offering some pretty stupid advice. If it was you would you really want to pay the shipping charges and excise duty for a one off order from a country several thousand miles away for goods with no approved service agents in the intended country of use? Personally in Bryson's shoes I'd go for the Anchor stuff its better made IMNSHO and made in the US so way easier to get service under warranty if needed or to get parts etc.

Charlie

Charlie ,

I have worked in the pro Sound & Lighting industry for about 17 Years , this said I dont claim to be an expert on everything and have asked some questions that some may consider to be "beginner level" But as we all have our different expert areas we can all learn somthing from each other. Im sure you have knowledge in areas I dont But Im also sure I have knowledge on areas you maynot.. Thats the beauty of BLUEROOM.... We can all share our wisdom ;)

We have shipped many Items to worldwide customers with NO problems.... So not "stupid" advice really Charlie just my educated opinion :P

But if thats not something you want to do ... then Another option would be to purchase a rackmount mixer amp and seperate CD player and Radio Mic Receiver and stick it all in a SKB plastic flightcase. I know the speakers would then be external but each component would be serviceable/replace by the the user if ness.

Good Luck Bryson If you need any more advice feel free to PM me....

Matt

Available for Sale in North America. That means the Coomber stuff is out.

(my bold)

Bryson's OP was not that long. Surley it's not that hard to read it all :unsure:

So the Coomber stuff is still in mix.... :P

Matt

Curious sense of Deja-vu :** laughs out loud **:

It's also worth pointing out that most of the time Coomber kit is built to order, consequently often have a looooooong lead time, I'm talking weeks here, not a couple of days.

So unless you really really really want Coomber kit (which we usually do at school) then taking everything into account, you'd be better off looking elsewhere.

Coomber (like Research Machines who do IT) are catering for a very small niche market (meaning features, quality, ease of use, price point) that's not served terribly well by other manufacturers.

Archived