UV fixtures

Rozztech

Hey all ive been asked to use UV in the next show at our school , this will mean an even flood of the stage

so im asking you .....

cannons or strips?

any tips for using the fixtures

What should I do with the surrounding lighting , must it be pitch black for UV to work ?

thanks

sam

Hey all ive been asked to use UV in the next show at our school , this will mean an even flood of the stage

so im asking you .....

cannons or strips?

Cannons, FoH most likely

any tips for using the fixtures

What should I do with the surrounding lighting , must it be pitch black for UV to work ?

Yes

I have used U.V. lights a couple of times, both cannons and strips and I personally prefer cannons.

Using strips we had to use about 4 (2 on floor front stage and 2 flown cause we couldn't use FOH) where as we only needed a couple of cannons to achieve an even flood across the stage.

And as jonathanhill said, yes it has to be complete dark for it to work properly.

One thing to remember about cannons is that they have about a minute warm up time, where tubes in a modern HF fitting will be pretty much instant on.

If I cannot get real UV floods then I personally prefer tubes to cannon as the source is more diffuse and as I say they have no warm up time.

Regards, Dan.

hi,

another vote for cannons! they have a more powerful source so inturn will shout louder, as others have said it could be possible to use other colours with the UV but UV scenes tend to be most effective in pitch black.

Another source that I have found works well to highlight UV paints and dyes on costumes is the "wood light" effect on the colour of FX wheel found in some movers, I simply set the focus to diffuse the hardedges and point them in the general direction of where the action is!

Chris

The other option is LED. They are particularly effective and are instant on/off and come with DMX as standard.

I've noticed this as well! Blue LED's in parcans have a fair amount of impact on certain UV dyes.

I think KevinE meant UV LED's ? I have never tried these...strobing UV to reveal/conceal must be fun on dance events!

Also a couple of things to bear in mind with strips....

They can be used effectively like footlights - behind a screen along the front of the stage, but depending on the proximity to audio lines, you may get a round of 'tinks' across the PA as they turn on.

Regards,

Andy

The other option is LED. They are particularly effective and are instant on/off and come with DMX as standard.

I've noticed this as well! Blue LED's in parcans have a fair amount of impact on certain UV dyes.

I think KevinE meant UV LED's ? I have never tried these...strobing UV to reveal/conceal must be fun on dance events!

Sorry guys! Totally forgot there's the UV LED cans out there :unsure:

But... I have tried just blue LED's from RGB cans and I does give you some interesting results.

I have a few of the LEDJ UV Stratos effects, brilliant effects with a good throw on them, however they dont really flood, they tend to put a 3-4 metre wide spotlight where you are aiming them, so you would need 3-4 to get a good effect

benefits? DMX controllable, instant UV effect and they can strobe too if required, plus of course the usual LED benefits such as low power consumption and less heat and noise. The UV Strips can sometimes make a blink blink noise when turning on

Archived