Gig contracts...

tolley1466

Well basically I need a contract for me and the client to sign as an agreement for payment etc...

I'm not strictly a freelancer because I have a job but I need a contract to show if a client doesn't pay up.

Well basically I need a contract for me and the client to sign as an agreement for payment etc...

You should be able to draw something up yourself, at the end of the day you know what you want to get out the deal. Just detail what your expecting to get paid and what you are doing for the client to of incurred that cost. Also include when your expecting that payment to be made and the consequences of failing to meet this payment deadline. You might also want to include a clause which states what would happen should the client cancel on you at short notice.

It doesn't really need to be anything more complicated than that, simply word processed and a bit for you both to sign, saying that you both agree to the terms stated above should be sufficent.

I'm not strictly a freelancer because I have a job but I need a contract to show if a client doesn't pay up.

Just because you have a job where tax is deducted on a PAYE basis doesn't mean you can't also be a freelancer in the eyes of HMRC, though wether you should actually be a 'freelancer' is a subject in itself. If you haven't already informed them that you're carrying out additional work, make sure you do as they will catch up with you eventually with significantly increased cost. They're particulalry likely to catch up with you if you're leaving a paper trail like contracts with clients.

Just because you have a job where tax is deducted on a PAYE basis doesn't mean you can't also be a freelancer in the eyes of HMRC, though wether you should actually be a 'freelancer' is a subject in itself.

there is no legal definition of freelancer. in the eyes of HMRC you can either be employed, or self-employed (i.e. a contractor)

I'm perfectly aware of this and that's partly what I meant when I said.

though wether you should actually be a 'freelancer' is a subject in itself.

But this has been covered extensively on here before so there is no point going over old ground.

EDIT You can be both employed and self-employed at the same time.

OK.

Now, at the risk of dredging up all the usual teen issues again, you're still a student, yes? A month away from being 17...

This contract that you're contemplating drawing up - what sort of things will it cover?

Because believe me it may very well get looked at from your client's point of view as well. You can't just draw up something that favours your side of the bargain and not theirs, because ten to one it WON'T get signed! Especially if this is some sideline from your studies.

Will it give your client the satisfaction that you as a supplier of goods and/or services that you have sufficient insurance to cover you and them in the case of problems?

Will it give the client adequate comeback on you, the supplier, should you fail to meet the terms of any agreement in any way?

Or any of the other many ways that a contract can bite you in the ass if you're not careful?

And also the client will need a signed copy for his/her records, which may be used as confirmation of any agreements of work done, possibly by HMRC - you ARE registered with customs as a self employed contractor, aren't you...?

EDIT - just realised some of this is just what John has posted... :rolleyes:

I'm perfectly aware of this and that's partly what I meant when I said.

though wether you should actually be a 'freelancer' is a subject in itself.

But this has been covered extensively on here before so there is no point going over old ground.

I know you are John, but Tolley might not be :rolleyes:

Archived