EV Pheonix System

fatfrog

Hi All,

Anyone ever used the EV Pheonix Range?

I was working with one there a few months ago and thought it was a very good system for the money.

Both the build quality of the boxes & the sound was equally impressive.

I am considering purchasing a system to use with covers bands etc - Probably 2 of the 2x18 Subs and 2 of the 2x15 Tops, One stack each side.

The standard covers band setup over here is basically a Dynacord P5 with 4 Subs or the XA2.

Another likely candidate in this price range is a 2nd hand Martin Rig?

Any opinions?

I went up to Shuttlesound for a demo back in October. We heard the 2x12 tops, 2x15 tops and 2x18 subs. Whilst I would say the system goes very loud, neither of us thought it was particularly refined. Tweaking the processor presets and a bit of EQ might improve things though...

Apparently, the design brief for this system was basically for it to be very loud. Great for AC/DC and many people will love it, but we didn't. My colleague went down the EV line array route instead, which sounded awesome. We've yet to actually get it outside to try it in anger, as the weather has been pretty rubbish for ages now.

I went up to Shuttlesound for a demo back in October. We heard the 2x12 tops, 2x15 tops and 2x18 subs. Whilst I would say the system goes very loud, neither of us thought it was particularly refined. Tweaking the processor presets and a bit of EQ might improve things though...

Apparently, the design brief for this system was basically for it to be very loud. Great for AC/DC and many people will love it, but we didn't. My colleague went down the EV line array route instead, which sounded awesome. We've yet to actually get it outside to try it in anger, as the weather has been pretty rubbish for ages now.

Yea, I had a listen to the Pheonix system recently also and would agree with all you have said here. It's a system designed for large indoor and outdoor places, not a smallish demo room! That said, I expect the 2x12" tops could be made to sound very nice given some adjustments in the DX38 processor. As has been noted on an American sound forum, "out of the box" the HF is just to much for all but throwing sound over a long distance outside! There are quality components used inside the Pheonix stuff though and the build quality is superb.

Dan

• 1 year later...

We've provided a few Phoenix systems to large event roadshows and the resluts are pretty impressive, a typical setup being 4x PX2181 and 4x RX115 as the double 15 mid/hi box's are often too awkward for mobile use - although personally I think they're worth the extra bulk in the van!

2x TG7s powering the system with the RCM26 modules to operate the DSP and so far we've had no issues come back - unlike the original light weight Crown I-tec amplifiers. The TG7 has no issue running down to 2ohms to give the four double 18s a good thrashing :-)

Langley Sound and Light

• 2 weeks later...

I would personally put a pair of the PX2181 on a single TG7 amp so they are running 4ohm each side, so 2 TG7 amps run 4x PX2181, and then get one TG7 as you have to run 4x EV Rx115. sounds so much heavier on the bass end and gives the whole system over all a new level.

Feeling more devilishnchange TG7 for the old skool Crown VZ5000 + that opens up new sub levels

A concurrent post has been automatically merged from this point on.

I would personally put a pair of the PX2181 on a single TG7 amp so they are running 4ohm each side, so 2 TG7 amps run 4x PX2181, and then get one TG7 as you have to run 4x EV Rx115. sounds so much heavier on the bass end and gives the whole system over all a new level.

Feeling more devilishnchange TG7 for the old skool Crown VZ5000 + that opens up new sub levels

oh and run a DX38 or a DCONE controller tweaked a litte here and there to suit the ear and listen to that.......Makes a difference from the standard settings and well worth that bit more

Archived