Software support

david_no_name

We've just been chatting in the coffee room about possibly needing someone new to do telephone tech support for our rental software.

Before I even start thinking about making it into a real position, I wondered if there are many techs who have a good knowledge of the rental market and can drive Windows, but now want to settle down to a 9-5 job ?

I.e Am I going to be better off trying to recruit a tech from this industry and train them on the level of computer knowledge they'd need and the specifics of our software or am I going to be better finding someone with a good knowledge of computer support and then train them on this industry and the specifics of our software ?

I have a feeling the former, but would appreciate any ideas/feedback from anyone else.

TBQH I'd consider myself to fit into both categories, I work in the industry as a freelance tech, but also did a desk job not too long ago as a VoIP phone system support tech. Failing that, I'd go for someone from the industry and then train them on the software/support side of things, rather than the other way round.

PS

Why is your current place of employment/ study listed as "secret". What have you to hide? :** laughs out loud **:

Why is your current place of employment/ study listed as "secret". What have you to hide? :** laughs out loud **:

I have no idea. One of the mods set this account up for me several years ago and then invited me along. I've never tweeked it so it's probably an old default.

If you want them to support the software, I'd go for someone who knows the software and fits in well with the company. End of. Whether he/she knows the industry is neither here nor there as long as they know the software (and what makes a good cup of tea)

Having done both jobs in the past, any tech types who end up in the role may feel a bit bored and tied down, compared to previous life in a theatre; although I guess the 9-5, regular pay etc may be a good draw. However I think a knowledge of the industry is definitely very helpful when you offer support to that industry, mentioning no names, but having had experiences with support that is outsourced to a certain German company. :)

I think I would go for someone with computer knowledge rather than someone with a theatre knowledge. Becuase at the end of the day, it doesn't matter what the object they are hiring is. It could be a can of coke or it could be a mac 600 or maybe a PM5D. The point is they are having problems with the software iteself, and to solve some software problems it is better to have someone with a greater knowledge of computers in my opinion.

If someone rings up and says "I'm gettin an error message when I load my software. It's telling me there isn't enough RAM what shall I do" for example, someone with computer knowledge would be able to say "You need to do XYZ" whereas a tech may not be as sure.

Of course I could be completely missing the point.

Just my 3p! (Credit crunch and all that).

...Becuase at the end of the day, it doesn't matter what the object they are hiring is. ......

Once you're old enough to have worked in a hire company, and start to understand the processes involved. it might not matter the object, but from where I stand, most of the issues we have a are with the processes involved, as opposed to the actual 'not enough ram' issues.

And as Gareth says, most of the Techs I know are able to deal with the basics of computers such as RAM issues.

Indeed, there are people perfectly capable of doing both: This site is owned and run by a few, for a start....

Just put both requirements in the JD, and see who you get. The best part is that you get a broader pool of applicants that way.

Thanks to everyone who's replied so far (and if you have any further thoughts, please put them up as a comment).

I'll try and put together a proper job description and then advertise it in the appropriate places, but in the mean time if you know anyone who might fit the bill, please don't hesitate to pass on their details.

Archived