Portfolio

hey there. Not entirely sure if this is the correct place for this and apologize if its not. But I shall carry on. I am applying for a college and they have asked me for a portfolio but not entirely sure what to put in there :** laughs out loud **: . Are there any thoughts/ideas many thanks.

Moderation: Given this post is about an application to a college, we've moved it to the Training & Qualifications forum for you.

Correct spellings?

I'm saying it (in a friendly way) before the others do. When you put together your portfolio, check every detail of it, get it proof read. Make sure it's bang on correct before you send it in. It's so important!

As for content, it's a chance to show off what you've done. Photographs of shows you've worked on, lighting plots, mic plots. It's about showing what you've done and proving that you did it. Perhaps it might be worth asking a few people you've worked with to write a few words about you in a letter. Mine also includes letters from happy customers.

Show off with it, but don't claim to have done more than you actually have. They may well ask you about details of things you've worked on in your interview.

Best of luck

Lots of nice photos of lights! Iv just had an interview at Central and I just had lots of pictures of gigs ive worked on. The main thing they're looking for is that you have an interest in your subject. Lots of smiles! :** laughs out loud **:

cheers for the help so far, any idea what should be on the cover page apart from my name???

K.I.S.S.

Title, name, MAYBE a brief outline (1 or 2 lines) but a title page is just that - a title.

Don't be tempted to flower up the pages with useless dross.

Less is more - don't clutter it up with over-designed covers, etc. A portfolio is supposed to be representative of your work to date. If it's for a college (as opposed to collage) application, I'd include whatever you can in the way of examples of productions that you've done - plans, cue sheets, etc. and some photos to show how the final result turned out.

And for god's sake use capital letters where appropriate.

As others have said, don't clutter and remember you don't have time for them to read pages of writing.

I just had a pile of interviews for drama schools/universities, the first one I went to I realised how ridiculous my portfolio was, it had far too much writing, and was generally too long. I realised this as soon as I put it on the desk, so ended up talking and pointing out pictures, plans and renderings. So I then completely redesigned it for the next interview and I felt much more comfortable.

The idea of the portfolio is to provide stimulus for conversation when it comes to college/university interviews, so if you've worked on any productions in interesting places then pictures of that can be great. For example, I did lighting for a show in the cellar of a pub, unfortunately I didn't have photos, but a decent lighting plot and some sketches of the processes I went through created a good conversation.

As others have said, if you're enthusiastic and passionate about the subject you've already crossed the first hurdle.

A quick judge of whether they liked you or not is to compare the length of your interview with others, if you're talking to them for much longer than other people it's almost definitely a good thing!!

Good luck :** laughs out loud **:

Tim

I'd include .... some photos to show how the final result turned out.

Or, if it's for a collage, just cut the photos up and rearrange them artistically B-)

And for god's sake use capital letters where appropriate.

Like when writing proper nouns, such as 'Gareth' and 'God' :) :** laughs out loud **:

To be fair, he didn't specify which god. There are a few to choose from. :** laughs out loud **:

I'm going to fix the Topic Title. Now, normally we're going to frown on Spelling and Grammar posts, but given that this thread is about presentation and admission to an academic course, then I think it's a valid area of discussion.

Basically, from a portfolio they're trying to get an idea of two things: your level of "artistic" talent, and an idea of your level of experience. You don't say what course you're looking at, so if you give us an idea of what it is, we can help further.

Good luck! Break a leg!

Like when writing proper nouns, such as 'Gareth' and 'God' ;) :)
To be fair, he didn't specify which god. There are a few to choose from. ;)

Exactly. I was referring to gods in general, rather than God. In which case, I s'pose I should've written "for gods' sake" .... ;)

Anyway, I wish the OP luck with his collage - I hope he posts a picture of it when it's finished.

;)

The other thing to remember, is to make sure you don't make yourself out to be better than you are, be honest.

For example don't say ''yes I worked on this gig as LD'' when actually you were just a general crew member like 20 others that were in the same position.

If you get caught out then your going to look like a complete fool and get yourself a bad reputation straight away!

Good luck

thanks to the move of my thread any it just for a technical theater course

Err .. eh?!

And if you want to work in theatre, you'd do well to learn how to spell it. Theater is the American way - and we don't want any of that nonsense over here, thank you very much! :)

Archived