Is your driving licence still valid?

MarkPAman

Methinks I'm going to keep hold of my pretty pink paper one for as longs as humanly possible. I also can't loose the entitlement to drive minibuses over 14 seats ;) , if that part of the rumour is true :stagecrew:

Methinks I'm going to keep hold of my pretty pink paper one for as longs as humanly possible. I also can't loose the entitlement to drive minibuses over 14 seats :** laughs out loud **: , if that part of the rumour is true :stagecrew:

I also can't loose the entitlement to drive minibuses over 14 seats :** laughs out loud **: , if that part of the rumour is true
ISTR that if you got your D1 early enough, you won't loose it.

Hope that's true. I recall someone saying they lost their entitlement when they had to have a new photocard to replace the pinky paper one ;)

Methinks I'm going to keep hold of my pretty pink paper one for as longs as humanly possible. I also can't loose the entitlement to drive minibuses over 14 seats :** laughs out loud **: , if that part of the rumour is true :stagecrew:

I also can't loose the entitlement to drive minibuses over 14 seats :** laughs out loud **: , if that part of the rumour is true
ISTR that if you got your D1 early enough, you won't loose it.

Hope that's true. I recall someone saying they lost their entitlement when they had to have a new photocard to replace the pinky paper one ;)

The Transfering of entitlements when going from Paper to Photocard does seem to be very poorly checked. If you had the right catergories on your paper licence and they then "lose" them when you change the DVLA will reissue your licence if you phone up and complain.

HTH

Glyn

If you renew your license you will lose minibus, unless you apply to keep it. You now have to meet higher medical standards. Unless of course you have taken the proper tests and passed the medical etc.

With regards to D1 depends whether you obtained your licence before or after January 1st 1997. If you passed on or after Jan 1st your license should only have B and B1. If it does have higher categories on it, then this is a mistake by the DVLA. They will be removed if you change your licence in any way, even change of address. I have personal experience of this, so it is possible but rare.

If you passed before then you will keep whatever entitlements you hold.

I think the new rules are daft. If they have changed the medical standards, presumedly after the number of bus/minibus drivers that have collapsed at the wheel and caused death, then it should be for everyone and not those who passed recently. In fact those that passed before this time are older and therefore have in increased risk of medical problems.

Yes mistakes are made, I have experienced it, but for the most part if you renew your licence and lose some entitlement because of a legislative change, then you have lost it for a reason. You have no come back...there are far too many people driving vehicles that they have had little formal training on.

Experience counts for nothing if it is bad.

Andrew.

Archived