Ipod's into a sound desk?

Ali2580

I'm quite new to all this stuff so sorry if this is an amateur question.....

I was followspotting for a show once and I knew the guy who done the sound. He had a Yamaha MC7L and he had his Ipod into the desk which obviously came out the speakers and I wasn't sure how that worked.

Then, the last show I done I was on the sound (it was a variety show - singing, dancing etc) and one of the performers asked if they could plug their Ipod into the desk (it was a Soundcraft LX7ii). Of course I said "Yeah, if you knew how." As I had no idea.

My question is - how does it work? Is it a special cable you need for the Ipod into the desk or do you have to get a special docking station for the Ipod which can connect as an Input to the desk?

Thanks if anyone replies

you need a cable that plugs into the headphone output of the Ipod, then goes to the line inputs of two channels of the desk, (or a stereo input), whatever the appropriate plugs may be for your desk. then treat it as any other stereo programme source (eg minidisc, revox, CD player etc.)

I bought one of these:

iPod Dock Connector

iPod dock connector - 2 x RCA phono. While a bit flimsy, they do provide a line level signal from the iPod, without being affected by the volume on the iPod. Quite handy for getting sensible level, although does restrict you to one brand of mp3 player!

Neil

Hmmmm ... how about these 3.5mm >> Phono or 3.5mm >> 6.35mm :** laughs out loud **:

Exactly what I was thinking Chris!

Apple has actually managed to achieve turning most people who know little about sound, but enough to know what a headphone socket is, completely clueless :)

Think back to Walkman days, virtually anyone who owned one could figure out that you could get sound from it by plugging something into the headphone socket.

No disrespect meant at all to the OP!

Sign'o the times I guess :blink: Being a technical geek, I can't own anything without knowing how it works :rolleyes:

I've used these for a few years now and have never had any problem with bass - and I've used these through D&B C7s It may be a misprint - give them a ring and ask for Dave if your interested as he'll give you a full low down.

The one we use (in domestic) is the Wadia i170, as far as I know its the only device to extract the digital audio from the iPod so no need to use the iPods D/A. It then gives you SPDIF to do what you want. We have a device which we are waiting for devivery of (although not tested yet) which extracts 6 audio streams from one iPod, great for what I do.

The latter also give full control of the iPod via RS232/IP so you can get the Metadata up on your control surfaces.

The weakness will still be the way you stored the data, some form of lossless format I hope, or even WAV.

Dupe...

Archived