iPod docking station

Ynot

So - we're getting an increasing number of hirers (mainly am dram, particularly dance schools) who can turn up with some of their music on an iPod. I therefore thought I'd look for a suitable reasonable quality docking station that can easily and quickly give a plug-in and ready to go way of getting said music into the desk.

I'm not looking for an iTunes option into the PC - just a useable interface to a line-in to the desk.

Google brings up many hits, but I'm looking for recommendations.

As usual, I'm after actual experience please - not inexperienced thoughts based on web stats etc.

Thanks

My ipod nano battery lasts for ages so I've never bothered with a docking station for shows, just one of these from CPC. Very cheap and one less electronic gadget that might fail when you need it most! You don't get any hum or ground loops either B-) .

The trouble I see with any form of docking station is that it will be iPod specific and, as soon as you have one, somebody will turn up with some other form of playback. I get the same thing all the time doing community stuff at the local theatre and must admit I just resort to a stereo mini jack--though I do put a couple of DI boxes in just to be pedantic.

I must admit to being amused by the appearance of whatever tiny MP3 player I've been given sitting on top of a 48 channel Heritage 2000. I know...small things amuse small minds but any entertainment I can get when doing playback for a schoolds gala or something has to be good.

Bob

Fair points all - thanks.

I must say I did miss the BR thread in the raft of Google hits - thanks for that one Josh.

Yup - you're right Bobbsy - something different WILL come along - just that iPods are most common at the moment.

I've always been a bit leery of using headphone outputs into a line input - though admittedly it does work. Never really sure whether we get the best quality out of that route.

As for the simple mini-jack to whatever connectors, well that's just what we do at the moment should the need arise - it just occurs to me that there will be something a little more sophisticated that can sit on the desk - just would look a little better and (presumably using the edge connector rather than the headphone jack) may be a better line level than the alternative.

Course, it could just be me being a bit too much of a purist... B-)

I guess about 50% of the "toys" I'm handed for playback are iPods of one flavour or another with the other 50% being any form of generic MP3 player.

Personally I miss the days of vinyl disks and reel to reel tapes! ("Is your tape quarter track or half track?" (Blank look) "I dunno." "Never mind, I'd figure it out.")

Bob

I used to have a rack with CD, cassette tape, MD, & DAT, sometimes with another containing a 1/4" reel - reel sitting on top. That was about 20U of rack space! Thing have got easier now, as I just have the above mentioned lead, & keep a portable MD in my laptop bag. That seems to cover everything I get given these days.

A dock with big buttons, like the one Josh linked to, may be a useful thing as I sometimes seem to have problems with the touch wheel thing on ipods. Is there one that's a little smaller than 19"?

Archived