Time to change

johndenim

OK, so I have wanted to change my sub standard peavey impulse 200 tops and peavey 118xt bass cabs for a long time now.

The only thing stopping me is my finances!

I work as part of a duo, performing mainly working mens clubs and weddings, some corporate events.

Recently I have been doing disco/karaoke as well, partys,pubs etc.

P.A as follows:

Dynacord powermate mk2. (mid/highs usually, full range when only using 12" cabs for smaller venues.)

behringer eq.

studiomaster ax2500 for bass cabs, using built in crossover.

Source is MD. (which I am also going to change)

And said speakers.

I have also recently bought a pair or dynacord powered monitors (from a friend) which are loads better than my impulse!

I'm probably looking at finance from a pa store, as I don't have alot funds.

I would really love the RCF tt+ (12" tops, 18" subs) or even the logic xp range, but again, money is an issue.

Due to this, I have considered thomanns own range, (the box) 12" tops and 18" bass cabs, but have only ever heard the 15" full range offerings, which TBH, were pretty good.

Can anyone compare my cabs to the box equivalent?

Or is it false economy, and should I save my pennies for a better brand?

Opinions greatly appreciated.

PS, notice the intentional lack of the word 'sub'!!

Hi Mike.

The problem with the sound is that I care.

Although I have in the past had people (who know what they are talking about) say that the sound is good.

Sometimes the spl is pretty high (well, for peavey standards) but its quality I want with it.

I have always wanted a nice rich thump on the low end, something which a chipboard cab simply isn't capable of.

I was thinking around the 2.5k mark, but maybe even that is still a bit high.

Hence the thomann own brand thought.

I know good sound isn't cheap, though I wish it was!

Just something better than my current speakers would be great, although you could say thats pretty much anything.....

To be fair, 2.5k will get you a decent amount.

I'd aim higher than Thomann... like a secondhand Nexo PS10 system (with Nexo amplifier / controller) you could get that for about £2200.

Or some Martin F12s / S15s and an ultradrive?

Mike

The new range of EV speaker may suit you, they sound good with a pair of bins. Would again recomend the KV2ex but at £1400 per cab for a 12" speaker its your money isn't it? They are powered though so easy to set up and you could sell off your amps. Take a look.

John, get in touch and I'll do you a demo on a Martin Blackline system at a time to suit. You get quality and quantity and if you keep and eye on ebay it doesn't have to break the bank (although you'd have to keep quiet about it and hope I didn't get to them first ;) )

A decent deal would get you 2 tops and 2 subs within budget if you want to keep your amps and have a processor already. Though if it's within budget a digital LMS would help if you don't already have one, even if the amp has a built in crossover. Don't go for the Martin controller. it does the job but its very limited and far too expensive for what it does. I've got a pile of blackline and not a single Martin Controller. I certainly didn't use a Martin controller when I ran truck loads of W8. Small trucks admittedly.

I would heartily recomend Void, we have a range of their boxes and they work well for all types of event.

Something like the Basys system might suit you. http://www.voidaudio.com/product_detail.asp?id=46

Ian

Well this certainly looks a beauty.

I have heard of Void but never heard anything from them.

https://www.scotaudio.com/cgi-bin/sh000001....l%23aVA_2dBASYS

And for £1759 as well, + amp and extras.

Archived