Servicing a Harmony 15/28 Profile

Sideshow Gaz

I've just been handed 5 Harmony 15/28 profiles. They are quite old but all work. I've never serviced one of these before and I was just wondering had anyone any suggestions (other than not bothering) on how to go about it. The main problem with the lamps is the focus knobs are extemely stiff. Would appreciate some does and dont's.

Gaz

I've just been handed 5 Harmony 15/28 profiles. They are quite old but all work. I've never serviced one of these before and I was just wondering had anyone any suggestions (other than not bothering) on how to go about it. The main problem with the lamps is the focus knobs are extemely stiff. Would appreciate some does and dont's.

Gaz

Can't give you chapter & verse as it's been yonks since I cleaned one, but IIRC the focus is by way of a sliding bent strip along the length of the lense housing.

You should be able to strip it right down and remove the lense by unsrewing the focus knobs. I'd suggest being liberal with something like that spray on white grease when you re-assemble..

Harmony's can be buggers to focus due to stiffness at the best of times!

II also RC, they are quite easy to strip down. Assuming nothing is broken or damaged, well worth the effort, they are a perfectly good lantern.

You have got 4 screws on the front corners. Unsrew these and all moving parts will come out the same way. Make sure you note where certain element come from as they not easily noticed and can be a pain to put back together.

A couple of things, if the focusing knobs / handles are damaged the parts are very hard to get hold of.

Be careful when cleaning the Reflector, Don't use Civit (it eats them)

Another important thing to do is to have them PAT tested after servicing.

Yes I agree, focussing knobs for any Strand lantern are very hard to find nowadays. However, you can use these to replace any damaged tilt-lock knobs on the stirrups.

erm..... I just looked - "out of stock!"

just like Strand (!)

but a useful link anyway - ta!

RS components also supply knobs suitable for use with Strands... only trouble is minimum order units 10 ! They may stick out further than the Farnell ones referred to (they were barrel - not T shaped) Note: last batch I bought for some zooms was about 6-8 years ago.

Gaz

Further to the earlier replies, focus control was via a rack and pinion arrangement. Unfortunately, this assembly was made of plastic, which you may well find has dried out after all these years and so become quite brittle. It ease the stiffness, I would suggest a non-corrosive grease (ie NOT WD40).

You may find this instruction leaflet useful if you do decide to produce your own service instructions:

http://www.strandarchive.co.uk/lanterns/do...nstructions.jpg

HTH

Richard

• 2 weeks later...

Archived