Pyro Rules and Regs

DJUnreal

Allo all, anyone here able to point me at a list of rules and regs for pyro use in the UK please? I'm working with a school theater setup and the people there seem to have differing ideas on what is and isn't legal where pyros are concerned, partly including an instruction from the director to get some pyros in, and then being told by a paid technician that it's not gonna happen... Being a student I can't just go "well that's bull, I'm gonna put 4 maroons here and 8 silver jets there and blow them all up at once"... but yeah, if anyone can point me at a full list of the UK Rules and Regs I'd be very grateful.

Thanks in advance

JoHn -- Venture

This thread contains much which is relevant to your situation.

But I have to say, it sounds to me like the theatre technician at your school doesn't want it to happen. It's their venue, they're presumably accountable for health and safety within it, and therefore decide what goes and what doesn't - and if they say it doesn't happen then I guess you have to resign yourself to the fact that you ain't having any pyro in your show!

Thanks very much guys, I will be pointing these rules and regs to the tech and the director, with any luck we can all come to an agreement on what is and isn't safe... seems to me there's a bit of a grey area with it but could just be my misunderstanding... am I right in saying the venue only requires council inspection to check on suitability once the relevant risk assessments in school have been carried out? I'm a little new to all this stuff, but it seems that the age rule is a little confuzzling to say the least... having read the other thread it's helped me a fair amount...

Thanks again guys

JoHn -- Venture

But I have to say, it sounds to me like the theatre technician at your school doesn't want it to happen. It's their venue, they're presumably accountable for health and safety within it, and therefore decide what goes and what doesn't - and if they say it doesn't happen then I guess you have to resign yourself to the fact that you ain't having any pyro in your show!

Aye, it looks that way, but the reason he said it wasn't gonna happen was probably because he didn't know what we are and aren't allowed to do, and having only been employed since september it's probably just something not happening at this stage... if I can give him a solid list he's likely to say yes because I got the feeling he wants to see these shows go off with a bang as it were...

Cheers again...

JoHn -- Venture

I know it has been talked about in other threads but the main points you will probably need to check are:

Insurance - Does your building insurance, public liability or any other become invalid if pyros are used.

Council - Does your entertainments licence allow the use of pyros? Even if it does you would be best to inform them first.

H&S - Get someone competent to do a risk assessment taking into account recognised good practice, this may be someone who has been on a course or simply researched the topic well.

Can I just add that the pyros should be operated by a competent adult.

If you don't have anyone with relevant training and/or experience in-house (which seems unlikely given your question), it would probably be sensible to send someone on a course or bring an outsider in.

The ABTT publish a code of practice, which should be required reading for anyone using pyro in any situation.

Unfortunately, if you try to acquire it you find a note on their order form stating that it is being revised and hence unavailable!

I regret that the lack of availability of the ABTT code of practice (Pyrotechnics) is due to us working on the revision of the code. We are waiting to update it with information appropriate from the new "Manufacture and Storage of Explosives Regulations" (MSER) which were originally due to be law this April - then delayed until May, then June and now being reported as "unlikely until January 2005 ! "

I am sure that any ABTT member that has done the ABTT Practical Pyrotechnics training course (Gold Award) will be able to quote to you from the Code of Practice - blue booklet that they received on that course.

With apologies for the delay(s)

Lincoln

In a school situation the Head will likely be the holder of the theatre's Entertainments License If not then the Head of Drama. The license holder MUST approve the use of pyro in principle before you sort out storeage and use of pyro by a suitably trained operator(over 18 yrs) with the cover of appropriate insurance

The Director's desires dont feature til the license holder says so.

Go do Lincoln's Course yourself if you are over 18, still doesnt permit you to over-ride the license holder.

Remember in a situation with untrained performers they will probably be scared by the pyros esp groups of children. Also their movement will NOT be as accurate as pro performers so they may be in a high risk area at the "fire " cue and the responsible operator has to have the un-questioned authority to NOT fire if he sees hazard.

Alas, I am a year too young to do this course (if as you suggest you need to be 18 to do it). I am guessing that the other thread's comments regarding legal age and insurance legal age require someone of the age 18+ to do it, regardless of the law's idea. I shall definately be looking into it all more deeply, and I know it is a very deep subject to jump into as a "newbie" as it were.

Thanks again for all help and advice so far...

JoHn -- Venture

Unless modified by the licensing authority, a licence issued under the new "model terms and conditions..." requires you to obtain [written] consent from the licensing authority to use pyrotechnics (and fog).

If pyros are essential, get your licensee to request consent. The proposed use of a properly trained operator will go a long way to satisfying the authorities that the producers are going about it the right way.

Archived