Eurovision Song Contest

Tomo

I think this technology is all really exciting! I'm fortunate enough to be programming an EX1 media server in Richmond for the next couple of weeks, and its mindblowingly awesome!

Cool, what gig are you doing with it?

M

Its just an amateur production, but the designer wants to use it for dynamic backgrounds to set scenes & stuff. More than anything its a good opportunity to play around with it!

As far as I'm aware all of the screens* we saw on the broadcast were driven by Catalyst v3 Media Servers. These type of Digital Media Servers, software such as PixelMAD and LED fixtures such as Pixel Line 1044's are all designed to be controlled by DMX and Eurovision was one of the big events so far this year for people interested in the merge between Lighting and Video technologies. We just did a project at Rose Bruford the week before last which I was lucky enough to be involved in where we got to use Catalyst v3, PixelMAD, Pulsar's Chroma Banks all controlled by a Hog III (by me :(). I will post some pics on the "show your show" thread in a couple of days hopefully but after using both a Digital Media Server and Catalyst alongside generics and movers I can definitely say these technologies are going to have a big impact on the theatre environment. Visuals have been around on music events for years now, but theatre is something new. Look out for a production going into the National Theatre at the moment which is going to be using Catalyst, I don't know the exact details but it's deffo going to push the boundaries a bit from what I have heard!

But yea, Eurovision was good... definitely a spectacular! I'm pretty sure LSI will do an article on it, we'll just have to wait and see!

Jon

* I think different things were used in different places, ie. projection for the back, a few LED screens, LED fixtures somewhere else and so on...

The Spectra De website explains the set up they had. Although I must admit it did look good its all becoming a bit similar to last years as they did use the same hire company and the LED Floor. Same rig virtually with the X-spots and the studio beams aswell!

yeah jon, seeing as the national has had fairly 'no projections policy'

I'm sure the policy could be changed for a show. Jon is hardly likely to have sat there and made it all up, I don't think.

I think the LED stuff is particularly smart - while from what I've seen you don't wanna be using it for washes and stuff just yet, you can get some pretty stunning effects just from seeing them light up. :(

Peeps,

Just to clarify... I had no personal involvement in the production of Eurovision I was just trying to shed some light about what went on from what I saw on the TV and from professionals I have spoken to about it.

And Ben, I don't want to get into a fight here as I don't know you... I cannot confirm the use of Catalyst in the NT but I am sure about one thing, if you keep portraying yourself with the "I know everything" attitude you are never going to get anywhere in this industry. The industry we are involved in is highly competitive but if you go to one of the big shows like PLASA you will see that everyone in the insustry knows everyone, and if we look at things that way you will soon build up a very bad reputation for yourself so do yourself a favour now before its too late and drop the attitute! I'm sorry if I am worngly mistaken about you but that's just how you come across right now, people PLEASE correct me if I'm wrong!

no, you are mistaken, that was not my meaning at all, im sure you know more than me, as do most people on this board, sorry for any confussion, but I cannot help it if people misinterperet my words, I will try and make the meaning clearer in future

but I cannot help it if people misintereret my words, I will try and make the meang clearer in future

The correct use of punctuation, capital letters and spelling would no doubt help in this matter.

I thought the lighting was really good on this years eurovision although I was at an embarassing loss when my family asked me how it was all done. Starting to make sense though now. However, I now have the whole family looking at the lighting instead of the acts! Result! ** laughs out loud **.

Also, a little off topic but if you put subtitles on, if the song is in a foreign language, subtitles gives you the lyrics in english. What fun! (some seriously dodgy lyrics going on there)

Oh, and wasnt that woman on stilts very scary? I think she had had too much pro plus.

Em

xxx

Archived