Rackmount CD player

misterbassman

I don't personaly have one of those units but I do have a couple of Tascam CD160's which are a similar price,

I've not been excessivly impressed with them, whilst they generaly work OK they have been slow and slugish and to select auto stop is a bit of a bodge and doesn't always work.

Just for your info if you were looking at similar models.

Have a number of Marantz units at work and don't have many problems with them.

James

• 2 years later...

Basically same question as above, but 2 years on. Looking for a budget rackable CD player for an install. Doesn't need to be anything fancy, but I'd rather get something with proper rackmount ears than use a tray.

Any suggestions?

Not a recommendation, but an anti-recommendation: don't get Tascam! I've had nothing but trouble with them, they refuse to play burnt CDs, don't have instant start and the auto stop, as someone said, is not good. Our 10 year old Sony d0mest1c CD player is much better!

Skytronic/ Adastra do a 2U cd player (I think). Whether it'll still work in 3 months time, I'm not so sure- a reliable drive mechanism is very hard thing to source in the far east, and I heard that most of the ones they sold did eventually end up credited and in a skip at the back of the warehouse.

Failing that, Australian monitor do a radio tuner/ single CD which I think is 1U rackmount job. No idea what the price is, but I'd guess its over budget. Same to the CD01U, which is a Tascam... I think the latter should work well and again is a racking 1U, they even do a version with XLR outs for studioesque finesse.

Hope this helps a bit

Rob

Well we used to use any old cheap CD player on gigs, and they'd invariably last only a few months before becoming completely trashed. Two or three years ago we replaced them all with CD160s and they're still going just fine. They seem to me to do broadly what a CD player should do, and more importantly they've not broken. We once tried a cheap DJ style rackmount single CD player, and that lasted about a week before it broke when someone dropped it.

Another vote for Marantz. I've used them in most of the installs I've done over the past few years (model number varies with the year) but as far as I know they're all still working. Some Tascams and Denons used over the same period didn't last so well.

Regarding Sony domestic decks, I've also had good luck with these, except for one idiosyncracy that several have suffered: they don't seem to like working when mounted even a few degrees off level. I don't know if anybody else has seen this?

Bob

Failing that, Australian monitor do a radio tuner/ single CD which I think is 1U rackmount job. No idea what the price is, but I'd guess its over budget.

They also do a 1U BGM2-DCD Dual CD/MP3 player. Anyone got any ideas where I could get one of these? I've been looking for something like this for ages.

Cheers

Ben

• 6 months later...

We're on the lookout for rackmount CD players. We currently use Citronic CD2s, which are fine, but are getting a bit long in the tooth, and we're looking to replace some. Given that we tend to run more and more playback off laptops or iPods, I'm figuring that single CD players would be a better choice this time around.

I'm keen to get an actual rackmount player, rather than clamping a standard hifi unit in. The CD2s are great, with big bright displays and buttons that my fat fingers can stab at easily in the dark. I've had a browse around, and Citronic don't do anything like this anymore (I seem to recall they used to have a single disc, 2U unit). I know there are some 1U players out there, but I don't want to be spending £300+ on a player, thank you very much.

Give me some recommendations, folks - what's a good unit to be buying? And any rubbish ones to avoid?

Moderation: threads merged

I'll always recommend Pioneer. I've had problems with all other manufacturers/models (at least since the days of the Denon DN2000) but the Pioneers have been superb. They are nearly always the only units specced on riders. Not sure about single unit rackmount though, rack tend to be twin and stand-alone's singles.

Similar stuff has been discussed before. Don't know if the search function here will be useful for 'CD' though?

Similar stuff has been discussed before. Don't know if the search function here will be useful for 'CD' though?

Searching for CD isn't specific enough. But a search for "rackmount cd" brings up this thread which has some more recommendations.

Moderation: threads merged, so link removed

I tend to buy a nice Sony CD player, something along the lines of the XE series and then Velcro it to a Rack shelf, the majority of dedicated players are either far too expensive or are cheap Chinese crap. Doing it my way gives a perfect balance between quality and cost !!

Archived