Pyro wiring testing cartridge

nmeth

I'd like to make a unit to go in place of a LeMaitre pyroflash cartridge that will look like a real cartridge to the pyro controller (the controller in our case is a kosher LeMaitre 6 way). This would allow testing of cabling before getting the cartridges out. It would also be very useful for training.

I guess this is going to a case of getting an old cartridge, cleaning it out, and putting a resistor across the pins, or maybe a bulb would work (lighting up on a firing would be good)?

Any suggestions, please.

Nigel.

I guess this is going to a case of getting an old cartridge, cleaning it out, and putting a resistor across the pins, or maybe a bulb would work (lighting up on a firing would be good)?

A very crude method simply to test your wiring would be to short out the two pin 'sockets' on the pods. A phono-phono cable is quite convenient for this. It would make your firer show up that a cartrige is present when you press the test button.

As for cleaning out a used cartrige... should be fine, but you'd have to be 100% sure there was none of the explosive left in there!

Ben.

I'd say that the lamp idea would be even more useful if the lamp could latch on. This way you'd only need one person to check a circuit.

The pod would then have to be "active" - it would have to have a battery inside, but a AAA battery should suffice for an LED, then some sort of latch circuit, triggered by the ignition pulse.

This way you could insert the tester, walk to the controller, press fire, then walk back and check if the lamp has lit.

You'd also have to be careful that none of the current from the battery could get to the pyro circuit itself, otherwise it could trigger other pyro's on the circuit. Quite why they'd be in whilst you were using the tester is beyond me, but it's better to be careful.

Of course, the pod should always be in view of the controller anyway, but seeing an LED with house lights on might be tricky if it goes out once you let go of the button.

There is a project here according to your needs and skills. It's possible that the firing cct only provides a pulse of current to fire the usual igs so a good design for a tester should allow for this. Also the pulse voltage peak may well be up to 30! So some devices may not like the stress. Also if I remember the cartridge pins are aluminium so soldering to them may need skill or care.

As the OP suggests they are using the Le Maitre Pyroflash 6/24 controller then I think we may be overcomplicating this some what with discussion of latching lamp circuits etc. The Pyroflash 6/24 controller has an in built circuit test facility but needs to have something in the pod to complete the circuit before it will work. I believe the OP is merly looking for something to do this without actually having to load effects themselves, in which case a short between the two pins would be sufficent. A shorting plug could be made out of a used effect cartridge or as suggested a phono to phono lead is a quick and easy way of doing this as the pin size is virtually identical.

I would suggest taking a used cartridge and placing a bulb across the pins. It'll complete the circuit for a test, and will light up when you press the fire button.

The specification of bulb is left as an exercise to the reader.

Thanks to all of you for the comments.

Point about making it visually different from a cartridge is good - we will take that on board.

I'll experiment with seeing if a lamp does something useful (and the spec required) when powered from the controller.

I'd previously missed that the standard pyroflash 1200 (most of our pyros are that form factor) cartridges have aluminium pins,

so I guess its going to be better to make something the same size using something like test jack plugs for the connector.

So come January (ie post panto) I'll try experimenting with this.

Nigel.

I'll experiment with seeing if a lamp does something useful (and the spec required) when powered from the controller.

Nigel.

I use a 24V filiament lamp wired to the pins of a used pot with the 6/24. You get a good flash when you press the fire button (it's a pulse, not continuous) and the test led lights correctly.

the 6/24 actually comes with a test cartridge - well it used to! It was just an empty cartridge with a spring across. You can make one yourself by desoldering and removing the dead igniter from a used cartridge spring and cleaning it up.

You can put an LED in there, I think with a 2k (if memory serves me correctly), but it will only work if the rotary switch is in the correct position. The LED will light when the channel is selected, this is because a 15mA test current is applied, when you fire the unit, it will blink brighter as the capaciters are discharged into the LED, this is where a bit of trial and error are needed, if the resister is not correct or the led not correct, it will blow! - should take too much time playing around to find the correct way of doing it! Its been about 10 years since I did it last!

Archived