radio microphone help

poridge

Hey guys

This is my first post and it's going to make me look really stupid ** laughs out loud ** but I'll try anyway. I recently bought some Skytronic radiomics on vhf 174 and 174. I now want to get some more handhelds and don't know how much of a gap I need to leave. I have found some exactly the same but on 173.8 and 174.8. Do you think these would work with my current system or will I get bleed over? I don't have a lot of money to spend on these, only around £70. If anyone can suggest some others thanks.

Thanks a lot.

The VHF band now allows you to use 173·800MHz, 174·000MHz, 174·200MHz, 174·400MHz 174·600MHz 174·800MHz 175·000MHz. However, the ability to use the different frequencies together will depend on how good the radio mic is at rejecting close by transmission and intermodulation frequencies. The best place to find out which frequencies are usuable is the manufacturer or their distributor. However, be warned that the cheaper the unit, the less likely it is that multiple units can co-exist happily!

Simon

I recently baught some skytronic radiomics on vhf 174 and 174. I now want to get some more hand helds and dont know how much of a gap I need 2 leave. I have found some exactly the same but on 173.8 and 174.8 do you think these would work with my current system or will I get bleed over?

To answer your question directly... you will probably find that the product you mention is available on 173.8, 174.1, 174.5 and 175.0 MHz, as these are the 'free to use' VHF frequencies. If you have one mic on each of these frequencies, they should be absolutely fine working together and are designed to do so. The problem may come if someone else nearby is using one of these! Being on fixed frequencies, you will not be able to simply switch channel to avoid picking up "DJ-Dave" from the pub down the road!

However... VHF radio mics are very old technology now, and you would really be better buying more up-to-date UHF mics from a quality manufacturer (eg. Sennheiser's freeport system is not bank-breaking but is a world apart in quality terms than SkyTronic). That said, 1. I still using my VHF trantec S2 systems on odd occasions and they are still going strong, and 2. with the UHF frequencies de-regulation looking more likely, it may be best going with the cheapest you can get for now!

HTH

Ben.

Edit - Beaten to it! Simon, are you sure all those VHF frequencies are free to use? Without checking, I thought it was just the four I mention, with the others requiring a license? But I'm open to correction.

Edit again - Paul has cleared up my confusion. I'm thinking of the legacy frequencies though it appears others are also available.

Current channels 173·800MHz, 174·000MHz, 174·200MHz, 174·400MHz 174·600MHz 174·800MHz 175·000MHz

Older VHF equipment may continue to use the legacy frequencies:

173·800MHz, 174·100MHz, 174·500MHz, 174·800MHz 175·000MHz

173.8MHz, 174.1MHz, 174.5MHz, 175.0MHz are the usual ones. 174.8 was a bit dodgy, intermodulation from the ones next door being a problems sometimes. It's not a gap really, but a mathematically calculated plan. Usually, manufacturers only produce kit that will work with their others - so if they offer a number of channels, they usually are fine - license wise the free band doesn't have that many options.

Sorry we can't be specific - it's because what you have are a little, er. ... cost conscious, so the only people who can advise are the manufacturer. If they sell them on multiple channels, common sense says they'll work on those, but we cannot be certain. One of the things that can be cut from budget equipment is decent RF filtering, making multi channel use a bit hit or miss. They are no doubt very good value for money, but as with all things, you don't get something for nothing. Make sure when you order them that you tell them you will be using them at the same time, then, if they don't work together, they weren't fit for purpose, which makes getting a refund easier, and pay by credit card.

We cannot say yes or no to this one.

With respect to the original poster and those offering advice, if your budget is £35 per radio mic then you are best off either seeing you can find something half decent on the second hand market or using a wired microphone.

Nothing you can buy new for that price will be anything more than a toy and certain not something that can be recommended in a professional forum like the Blue Room. Frankly, even with cabled mics, there's not much on the market for £35 that I would recommend; add the need for the RF part of the system and anything on offer will not be worth using.

Putting this in perspective, I have some longish XLR cables that cost me more than £35 to make.

Bob

Archived