school of rock lighting app used

Martinmatt

Hey all

Just as I was thinking what was the lighting kid using to run the light show.. all I know is that the computer was an apple mac I think a powerbook not too sure but it was a mac for sure. does anyone know which app they used for School Of Rock??

Thanks

Matt

As far as I can remember from seeing it ages ago, there is a visualisation of the rig, when the shot tilts up to show the actual lighting rig follow. I'm assuming its easier to get an actual piece of prewritten LX software to do this, rather than animating it from scratch!

The laptop as far as I remember is just doing visuals (flash style animation at the back). There's a separate desk doing the LX?

Any particular reason for wanting to know this rather random piece of information :S?

I seem to remember that the kid designs the visuals on the computer (could be Mac, or whoever else paid to have their product put there) and it is implied that he prepares the lighting show on the computer too.

When it comes to the actual show, I seem to remember it being a GrandMA desk used to busk the lighting because the band changed the song at the last minute (bands don't do that...surely?!!!)

It being a film I suspect the lighting "program" on the computer is simply a flash animation made to look like it's controlling the lights, as opposed to actual lighting software, much like almost all on-screen software. Real software generally looks too visually cluttered and has font sizes too small to pick up well on camera.

Guest lightnix
Just as I was thinking what was the lighting kid using to run the light show...

He wan't. He was an actor and just pretending.

Can we close this one now, please?

I wanted to know so I can get it / download it so I don't always need to use this computer I use my mac...

So you seriously believed that the software used in a movie was likely to be an actual existing product...?

Hmmm... ©

Whether or not there is a lighting app for an Apple computer I dunno. However, the application you saw in School of Rock was a work of fiction designed to look good on screen. Think about every computer scene in every film you've viewed. How many of them are using real applications or even have real capabilities?

Thread closed.

Bob

Archived