Sending video wirelessly

Kopy

Hi Guys,

Just a quick question for everybody - sorry about my ignorance but I'm a lampy by trade (convergence and all that!)

Is there any way to send a video signal wirelessly? Ideally RGBHV at 1024x768.

If so which system is the best?

I'd ideally like to do this without line-of-sight, if this is possible.

Thanks (hopefully) in advance.

Adam C.

In my experience sending video wirelessly is always difficult, and should be avoided; it will usually reduce the output quality, often drastically. Depending on the distance you want to transmit, using video over Cat5e Extenders can be a good alternative, I recently used this to run a video camera feed to a projector feed, in a church. Most cat5 extenders have a range of 150m or more, though you can use booosters.

Total purchase cost last check was less than £100.

Video over radio/wireless is fairly easy..as mentioned it can be done for sd/hd signals in sdi/hdsdi format..using Gigawave System (presteigne.co.uk keep them) or other similar systems. They do only take Hdsdi/sdi so u'd need a scaler (ImagePro HD) to convert to hdsdi (so u'r format choices are 720x576 or 1920x1080)

If a cable route is possible then u can run 1024x768 to about 300m on cat 5, with decent senders/recievers from the likes of Rose. Fibre is also an often these days used method.

I've just used a Gigawave system on a car launch and found it to be very good, even through Brick walls! But we only ran Sd Cam signals, so wasn't pushing it in terms of bandwidth.

Thanks for the replies guys - the microwave thing looks good! Unfortunately cabled isn't really an option - the event is in the check-in area of an airport and the signal needs to be sent to the departures area. You can see into the departures area through the glass but for obvious reasons it's all sealed!

I don't suppose anybody knows any suppliers in Queensland though?

Just thinking of the airports I've been in recently where the two areas are obviously segregated, but there are usually ways through that a piece of CAT5 could be poked through and then terminated. The likes of round the edge of door frames, through ceiling voids etc? There may already be a CAT5 infrastructure that you could utilise.

• 4 weeks later...

I will resurrect this, as we are moving into a cinema early next year.

We are able to use the projector (various input choices), but the booth is sealed from the screen (obviously).

To run a cable would mean running a cable out of the screen, down the corridor, then into the projection room, so not an option.

Being a simple mind, I thought that if we can get the laptop / pc to send the signal to a scart / composite cables, we could use effectively a simple video send, something like home system used to send between TV's on different floors?

Will the quality be good enough?

I wouldn't trust it for a pro situation such as that. I'd definitely look at wiring something in. The projection booth might be sealed, but presumably there's existing cabling in place to run sound out of the booth. The other big flaw in the plan is that you'd have to output at TV resolution, which is far from ideal for many PC applications.

Quality RF systems are available, but cost a lot of money. The broadcasters use them all the time, and they are pretty stable now. The low power, license free systems are really just toys. In fact, just like audio, there is nothing as reliable than a piece of cable!

When you say you can't get a cable from the projection room to the screen end, do you mean you can't - as in you don't have the skills or tools to do it, or that you have concrete walls too thick to drill through? There is bound to be cabling already doing the route - so even though it will be harder work, the reliability and quality of a cabled system should be enough to make this the ideal method. It does sound - and forgive me if I'm wrong, that you want wireless because it's simpler. It just doesn't make any sense.

fair point but we are in there on a trial run, so running cables, and leaving them in place during the week isn't an option currently. We could look at it long term, but we need a solution that will work straight up as a starter.

Archived